part 14

I wake up to the sun peering in through the curtains, the soft glow lighting up the hotel room. I could feel Leah's arms wrapped around my waist and her soft snores against my back. I lay there for a few more minutes just taking in the moment before slowly removing leah's arm from waist and climbing out of bed. I jump in the shower and the warm water soon runs down my body and i remember that i agreed to meet Lena today as we have the day off to rest after our game. I quickly get ready and head down to breakfast with the team; leah must have already left as when I left the bathroom she was no where to be seen.
"Hi," she says as i make my way over to the food table. "Hey," i reply, not looking at her. "Sorry i left this morning, Keira messaged me, she wanted to talk." She adds putting her hand on my shoulder.
"Leah it's honestly fine," I add, turning my head to face her. Her blue eyes lighting up as our eyes meet. "Should we go sit down," leah nods, and we sit down with the rest of the team.

"Do you have any plans today?" leah asks as her foot rubs against mine under the table. "You're being oddly nice," i chuckle as i take a sip of my drink, "i'm meeting Lena today," I add. Her eyes drop to her food and she begins to push it round the plate with her fork. "Oh," is all Leah says, her tone harsh.
"Leah," i say placing my hand on top of hers, "i will explain everything when i get back." She lifts her head up so her eyes meet mine, she gives me a slight smile and excuses herself from the table.

I knew i had to end things with Lena today. I needed to make it clear that nothing was going on between us. We had agreed to meet at a local cafe not far from the hotels. I arrived before Lena so i ordered our drinks and sat in one of the booths. After a few minutes of waiting, I hear the door open and see Lena walking in, her hair was pulled into a bun and her baggy jeans and jumper made her look effortlessly beautiful. "Hey," i say as she sits down, "i got you a drink, it's the same as what you used to get."
"Thank you," she replies taking a sip of the drink. We have a general catch up about life and playing each other in the final of the euros but I know i have to tell her how i'm feeling.
"What's wrong?" Lena asks "I can tell you want to say something."
"I'm just unsure. Lena I've really missed you but we broke up and I don't think i'm ready for us to get back together and be so far apart," i say trying not to make eye contact.
"Gracie, i'm not sure how i feel, but i agree. I feel like we should stick to being friends," she adds finally making eye contact.
"i think we would make great friends," i add slightly laughing.
We soon leave the cafe and I hug Lena goodbye, i don't look back after she walks off as i can already feel tears forming.

I finally make it back to the hotel and head straight to my room, hoping Leah isn't there as i wasn't sure how i was feeling about everything that has happened between us. She was a different person when we were alone, she was sweet and the kindest soul, however as soon as we're with the team she goes back to not liking me. I wasn't ready to have that conversation with her so i decide to have any early night and head straight to bed.

I soon fall asleep around 9pm and i don't notice Leah coming back. We finally got our room upgraded so we now have 2 double beds instead of one. When leah got back she crawled into her own bed and went to sleep.
"When did you get back?" I ask grabbing my phone from the bed side table seeing the time was now 8:30am.
"around 11," leah adds, getting out of her bed and beginning to get ready.

We didn't speak whilst we got ready for training, we just shared a few glances at each other before making our way to the pitch.
"Gracie!" i hear shouted as i turn my head to see Rach running over to me.
"Hey, how are you?" i add giving a side hug as we walk over to the rest of the girls on the pitch,
"I'm good, excited for training today, it's so sunny!"
We soon join the rest of the girls in a huddle waiting for Sarina to give instructions for a training session. We were doing a 11v11 game. As the teams got read out i couldn't help but notice Leah looking over at me, as Sarina told us we weren't on the same team she looked away starting a conversation with Mary.

The game started well with my team winning 3-2. As i'm dribbling the ball through the middle i see a small opening and take a shoot until i feel my ankle being struck and falling to the ground. With my ankle throbbing, my eyes watering i don't move from the ground.
"What the fuck was that?" i hear Lauren Hemp shout
"That was a dangerous tackle, you need to be fucking careful, you've actually injured her" she adds as the medical team check my ankle.
"I'm sorry, i didn't mean to hurt you," she says placing her hand on my shoulder. My eyes are closed but i could recognise her voice clearly. It was Leah. Was she trying to get me injured. Was this because of Lena. I hate her so much. So many thoughts ran through my mind that i didn't reply to her comment.
The medics told me they want to check it over in there room, so they helped me up and i hobbled off the pitch. I couldn't look at her, i just kept my head down and tears fell from my eyes.

"You have just twisted it Gracie, but it needs resting" the medics tell me, "you'll probably be out for around 4-5 days," they add. My heart sinks. The final of the Euros is in a week, would that mean i couldn't play. I just nod to all the information they're telling me until Lauren and Rach open the medical room door to check and see if my injury is serious.
"It's not as bad as we thought," i tell my friends as they let out a sigh of relief.
"But i'm still out for a few days," i say with sadness in my eyes. They both reassure me that i will be available for the final and tell me that Leah didn't mean for the bad tackle.
"I know it was accidental, i just don't want to see her right now," i tell them whilst getting on the medical bed.
"Rach am i okay to stay in your room tonight, i'm just not in the mood for an argument." i say grabbing the rest of the things before i leave.
"Of course," she replies, "i meet u back there in an hour, we just need to finish the rest of the session."
They both hug we goodbye and i head back to Rach's room she's sharing with Millie.