C H A P T E R - 0 3

Start from the beginning

The inspector, probably thinking that Sarah and I were a couple, gave me a friendly warning and shook my hand. "You better keep an eye on your gorgeous lady when she's had a bit too much to drink."

I thought about correcting him, telling him that this fiery lady wasn't actually my girlfriend and probably never would be. But what was the point of explaining anyway? Besides, who knew what kind of trouble could brew if he found out I wasn't her boyfriend?

I just flashed a grin and replied, "Absolutely, sir. I've got her back."

The inspector shot Sarah a meaningful glance and said, "And Miss Sarah, you better keep your promise." Sarah, in her slightly inebriated state, stumbled a bit as she walked and flashed the inspector a double thumbs-up.

What secrets were they sharing? Well, that was none of my beeswax.

Once the lawyer had wrapped up his work, he bid us farewell and headed home, leaving us standing at the police station's exit gate.

I mean 'Bro, what happened to your manners? You could have at least asked if you could drop us home.' 

How on earth am I supposed to drive my bike with this tipsy lady in the backseat?

"Seriously? You expect me to ride back with you on your bike?" she asked, her brows furrowing in disbelief.

I shot her an annoyed look. "Do you have a better option? I bailed on my date to help you out, and all you're doing is acting like your usual hot-headed self?"

I mean, come on, I expected at least a 'thank you' for my effort.

"First of all, I didn't ask for your help, and second, there's no way I'm hopping on the back of a bike with someone I barely know. Who knows what your intentions might be," she retorted, her voice rising.

I had had enough. I didn't come here to subject myself to insults, so I just revved up the engine, left her standing there, and drove off without a second thought.

Her reflection slowly faded in my rearview mirror as I drove away, but an inexplicable sense of sadness gnawed at me. I couldn't quite put my finger on it. Perhaps it was my inner moral compass telling me that leaving a girl, barely eighteen, alone on the road in the dead of night wasn't the right thing to do.

After about ten minutes of driving, guilt started to eat at me as I realized I'd left her alone at the police station gates. That place probably wasn't safe at all, with criminals coming and going as they pleased.

"Dafuq!" I muttered-shouted to myself, blinking in exasperation. 

Without giving it a second thought, I pulled a sudden U-turn, causing a bit of chaos in traffic. I ignored the irritated honks and hurried back to the police station.

She was nowhere in sight. I frantically scanned the area, running a hand through my hair as I berated myself for leaving her alone in the middle of the night.

Just as I was about to ask a street hawker, who was packing up his vegetable cart, I spotted Sarah sitting at a bus stop in the distance. Without wasting a moment, I sped over to the bus stop.

I pulled up to the bus stop and dismounted the bike. Relief washed over me as I approached her, thankful to see her safe and sound.

"In case I'm a complete stranger to you, let me introduce myself," I said as I settled down beside her. "I'm Aryan Thakur, born and raised in Saharanpur, Uttar Pradesh. I might come off as a bit of an asshole, but I've got a few morals tucked away, and that includes respecting others. So, you have my word—I won't harm you. So now will you please come with me?" I concluded, extending my hand toward her.