Chapter Twenty One

Start from the beginning

When it's my turn, I ramble on and on about school, working at Frosty Dream and of course my new friends.

"Seems like you settled in perfectly like I knew you would." She praises patting my cheek affectionately.

"It was really hard at first but the guys and Kristie really made me feel welcome. They might not know it but without them I wouldn't have lasted a week at Pine View." I answer.

"Wow, I must meet these friends of yours. Especially this Isaiah." She grins.

"Stick around long enough and you will."

I wouldn't mind Astrid meeting my friends, she is cool and would get along with Kristie really well.

"I definitely am. DC was fun but I missed home and I missed you. No more trips for a while now." She expresses.

I'm glad to hear that because I have missed Astrid. Sure we were calling and texting every single day that she was away but it's not the same as seeing her in person.

"It's great to have you back." I confess.

"It is good to be back. How about I take you out for lunch? We can get Mexican or Italian." She suggests naming my eyes light up at the suggestion.

"Mexican please." I reply getting up from the bed.

"Mexican it is. Go get changed." She demands softly.

She doesn't have to ask me twice as I skip into my closet to pick out something to wear. I already showered earlier so there's no point of doing it again. I get dressed in a short plaid skirt, a white cropped sweater and a pair of my favorite boots. I walk out of the closest combing out my hair to find Astrid on the balcony.

"Is that me?" She asks gawking at the piece I presented for show and tell in AP French and Culture a couple of weeks ago.

"Yes." I reply.

"When did you do this? I've never seen it before?"

She cannot hide the wonder in her voice and even I am proud of that piece. I'm amazed that I was able to do create such perfect art. It's the best piece I've drawn so far.

"I did it for show and tell last month. Do you like it?"

"Like it, I love it. It's like I'm looking into a mirror. Why didn't you tell me about it?" She inquires.

"I was afraid you wouldn't like it." I admit with a shy smile.

"Oh Kenny, I love everything that you do and this is proof of that. Here take a photo, it's going on all my socials. I've got to brag about my gifted baby sister." She requests handing me her phone.

I smile and take loads of pictures for her next to her replica.

After we are done, I grab my phone since its all I'll need and we leave my room. When I'm with Astrid I never need money or a credit card because she always picks up all my bills and spoils me. Being the last born has its perks.

I'm suggesting Mexican restaurants we can try out as we walk past the living room when the last voice I want to hear calls out to us.

"Girls."

We both stop and turn at the same time.

"Mother."

"Don't call me mother like that, it sounds so condescending." She scolds.

Astrid and I turn to look at each other resisting the urge to roll our eyes.

"Astrid darling, when did you get back from DC?" Mother asks getting up to hug her and kiss her cheek.