Chapter Nineteen

Začít od začátku

"Berry has it in her head that touching our hair is a mortal sin." Isaiah explains.

Hearing him say it out loud makes me feel even more embarrassed.

"What? Why?" Baron quips his arm around Kristie's shoulder.

"Because we're black and our hair is sacred." Isaiah expounds further but he makes it sound like he is mocking me.

"Seriously princess?" Wesley asks looking like he's holding back a laugh.

"Yes." I nod.

"Kennedy it's true our hair is a big thing for us but it also depends with the context in which you touch it. Say a random stranger approaches me on the street and asks me if my hair is real or if they can touch it. That is wrong in all ways but you're our friend and we are comfortable with you." Kristie explains.

I hear what she's saying but I still feel bad for what I've done. I like my new friends and I would never want to do anything that's culturally inappropriate that will ruin our friendship.

"She's still not convinced." Baron sighs when he sees the look on my face.

"I've seen Wesley tug at your hair, he calls you princess and Iz calls you Berry. Why don't you get offended yet when some random student in the hallway calls you a nickname in reference to your hair or tries to touch it, it pisses you off?" Kristie asks.

"Because you're my friends and you get passes for that." I answer.

"There's your answer, it's a two-way street princess. You need to stop second guessing yourself around us. You're one of us now." Wesley declares and just to prove his point he puts me in a headlock careful not to choke me and ruffles my hair.

"Okay fine, I get it. I'm sorry." I laugh trying to fight him off.

Ruby starts barking at him and he immediately let's me go raising his hands in surrender. When she sees that I'm not in danger anymore she stops and jumps onto my lap licking my face.

"See even Ruby accepts you as one of us." Wesley chides.

I smile and kiss her nose. "You're right, I'm sorry guys. Thanks for the assist Ruby."

"You're gonna steal all her love away from me aren't you?" Isaiah asks.

"I wouldn't dare and besides her heart is big enough for the both of us." I grin at him.

"True." He concedes with a smile.

Now that we're over the tiny debacle of my insecurities towards my new friends we are able to have a much more relaxed lunch. Ruby is the center of attention though she's taken a liking to me so she always wanders back to me which makes me incredibly happy. After spending an hour with her, more than ever I desire to have a dog. But my parents, especially my mom would never go for it even though they are rarely home. Maybe in another life where my every move is not controlled by them.

Ruby has to go back into her crate after lunch because Isaiah has class but then I remember that I'll be seeing her during AP French and Culture. I am a nervous wreck as I wait for that class but the afternoon flies by and before I know it, we're all seated in Mrs Beaufoy's class.

"I hope everyone is ready with their assignment. Remember this is being graded so do your best. You all get five minutes each, no more because I want to cover everyone by the end of the lesson. Let's get started by alphabetical order of your surnames." Mrs Beaufoy instructs as soon as everyone has settled down.

The presentations are awesome but I am too anxious to concentrate on what everyone is saying. The only time I force myself to pay attention is when it's Isaiah's turn.