26: Announcement

Dorian looked over the dishes of small foods that were set out. Amara had decided how she wanted to announce her pregnancy to his parents and brother, and they were having them over for a game night, which worked as an excuse for her to serve finger foods. She made little signs for each item, and each contained the words baby or mini. Baby veggies and dip, mini quiche, Babybel cheese, baby spinach mini salad.

He was more than sure his brother and father wouldn't catch on, but his mother might be a different story. They had three games set up to play—the last of which being charades, where the announcement would take place. Amara was excited about her idea and had even gotten shirts made for the occasion to give to everyone.

"Do you think I have enough hints?" Amara asked, turning to look at him.

"Yes, and even if you didn't, they'd know by the end of the night." Dorian watched her nod slowly, and he looked her over as she placed her hand on her stomach. "Are you nauseous?"

"Just a little, but I'm okay."

Dorian went to the pantry, returning a few seconds later with a ginger lollipop. He opened it, handing it to her before throwing the wrapper away. It'd been three weeks since she'd told him she was pregnant, and her morning sickness started the week before. Amara wanted to wait until she was further along before going to the doctor, and as much as he'd wanted to protest and take her the day after they'd discovered she was pregnant, he'd respected her decision. They were going the following morning.

"Do you think you'll be able to make it through the evening?"

"I'll be fine."

"I placed the shirts in the decorative piece behind the couch," Adina stated as she entered the kitchen. "They should be here in a few minutes, so let's get the food, drinks, and utensils moved into there as well."

Amara reached for one of the trays, but Dorian stopped her. "You grab the utensils. Adina and I will get the trays." He didn't give her time to protest as he placed throw-away plates and cutlery in her hands.

Dorian grabbed two of the trays and took them into the living room. He placed them on the coffee table, which they'd moved to the side in order to set up the stands for Pictionary. It'd been a while since he'd had a game night. The last one Dorian could recall was when he was still living at home as a teenager.

They'd finished moving everything into the living room, and Amara had just thrown her lollipop stick away when the doorbell sounded. Dorian watched as her eyes widened, and he couldn't help but smile at her. He understood that she was nervous, but he wasn't sure why. His family would be just as excited as he and Adina were. He pulled her to him, leaning down to kiss her softly.

"Relax," he spoke softly against her lips. "They're going to be happy the family is getting a new addition."

Dorian took her hand and led the way to the living room. His parents and brother were there speaking to Adina. When they entered, greetings and hugs went around, and they caught up as if they hadn't seen or spoken to each other in months. In actuality, it had only been a few days.

"What games are we playing tonight?" Azra questioned once they'd all placed some food on their plates and were eating.

"We're doing some trivia, playing Pictionary, and charades," Dorian responded.

"We should play women versus men," his mother stated. "Though that may be unfair to the three of you," she added, looking between him, his father, and his brother with a smirk.