16: Fittings & Dress Shopping

Dorian held his arms out beside him as the tailor measured him. He and Azra were getting fitted for their tuxedos for the joining. They'd already chosen the ones they'd be wearing. Moreso, Amara had given him a specific color and asked that he make sure his tie at least matched. Dorian planned on his tie, vest, and handkerchief matching. In comparison, Azra would wear a bowtie and shirt the same color.

They'd only been there a few minutes, and while Dorian knew his suit wouldn't need to be tailored too much, he still wanted it done. Baggy suits always irritated him. They looked sloppy and unkempt. He'd never looked like that a day in his life while wearing one and damn sure was not about to on his joining day.

His brother was sitting in a chair, currently scrolling through his phone. They'd both left work early to make the appointment, and Dorian knew Azra was more than likely checking in on things, especially, since his company had just started working on something new.

Dorian didn't mind being off early. He and Amara were finalizing the last few things for the joining that evening, but he was sure they could get it done sooner, and he could take her to the garden to eat dinner under the stars.

"Are you sure you don't want another groomsman?" Azra questioned minutes later after placing his phone aside.

Dorian met his brother's eyes in the mirror. "No, Amara only has one bridesmaid. So, I don't need a second groomsman. I want to keep this as small as possible so she isn't uncomfortable with so many people." Dorian paused, putting his arms down. "Honestly, if mom didn't insist that it would be rude not to invite old family friends, it would just be Amara and me, you, mom, dad, Adina, and Amara's friend Tahly."

Azra chuckled. "That might have been for the best. The last thing we want is one of the catering staff to look at Amara wrong. We don't need a repeat of what happened at the office last week."

Dorian gritted his teeth at the thought of Gene. Every time his mind flashed back to that day, he wished he'd gone more damage. At the very least, broke the other man's jaw. He was reminded of the shit Amara had to endure at the academy and out in society before she was with him.

"Gene should have kept his hands to himself, and he wouldn't have been put in his place."

"I don't disagree with you," Azra stated, glancing at his phone as it sounded. His attention returned to Dorian's in the mirror a few seconds later. "Did I tell you he called the day after he was fired, asking if I was serious?"

Dorian shook his head. He'd expected that Gene would call inquiring about his job. However, he hadn't expected that it would be that soon after losing it. Dorian wasn't quite sure what in the other man had him thinking they'd been joking when they fired him. It wasn't the first time that one of the fired the other's employee, and they always stood by each other's decision because they'd never fired anyone maliciously. Well, that was until Gene because Dorian was man enough to admit it had been. Though, Gene putting his hands on Amara was justification in his book even if other people didn't see it that way.

When Dorian was finished getting measured, he took the seat Azra was previously sitting in while his brother took his turn being measured. Pulling out his own phone as it rang, Dorian brought it to his ear as he answered.

"This is Dorian."

"Hello, Mr. Slade. This Iris as Millennium. I was reaching out to inform you that your order is ready and can be picked up at your convenience."

"Thank you, Iris. I'll be by shortly to retrieve it." Dorian hung up the phone and turned his attention to Azra. "We have to make a stop when we leave." Azra nodded at him, and Dorian leaned back in the overstuffed chair as he waited.