Mom and Dad said I wouldn't leave the house until I went to heaven.

Actually, they said hell, but I knew God and I knew where I was going.

Nevertheless, my body involuntarily began to tremble at the thought.

Last time they did something they called "water boarding" and it was not a sport where you ride on water with a board. Not in the slightest.

I snapped my head up to meet my mothers cold gaze, immediately regretting it.

She slapped me across the face.

It stung, almost as bad as when Dad did it.

My cheek flushed as I grabbed it, as if somehow holding it would make the pain go away.

It didn't.

It never did.

Now, the tears from before were amplified, and the barrier broke. The dam broke, and there was no fixing it any time soon.

The tears spilled onto my cheeks and I couldn't help but look into the eyes of the person who cause them.

They showed no remorse. Only pure amusement.

It was at this moment when I understood I did not have a regular family dynamic. I just didn't realize to what extent.

"Whatever. I'm just hungry. Let's just go to a steakhouse or something and let the pig wallow in her own filth." Vivian sneered, and for once I was thankful for her obnoxiousness and lack of patience.

It got them out of the house.

I rushed to my "room". It was basically just a cell, but I didn't know that.

It was in the west wing of the house, on the fourth and final floor.

Vivian and my parents slept in the north wing.

It was a very small room, the size of a typical closet, with two worn out dresses and a blanket inside, all of which the colors were faded. I had had them since birth, I think.

Not the dresses obviously, but I've had those for years too.

It had a room attached to it, with a toilet. No sink. Again, I wasn't worthy of water.

I would usually just sneak down into the south wing to use a staff bathroom to brush my teeth and wipe myself down.

It wasn't much, but at least I had a window. For that I was grateful.

I shut the door behind me for the night and crawled into the opposite corner, darkness consuming the room, except for the little light that came from the window since it was nearing dark.

The room didn't have a light, and the door automatically closed when I let go of it so I couldn't use the light from the hallway. The door was locked at night and whenever I acted up anyways, so it's not like I could sleep in the hallway.

The tears were finally coming to an end, hours later, when I heard footsteps outside my room.

I knew who's footsteps those were.

When you live in constant fear, you start to pay attention to the little things. The things like the sound of footsteps and even the breathing of others.

I suppose it's a survival mechanism.

The doorknob turned, and moms face appeared, droopy with her lipstick smeared, followed by Dads.

Ew.

I dropped my head and tried to blend in with the darkness, shuffling back into the corner as far as I possibly could.

It was no use.

"We told you we'd be back. To teach you, remember?"

I honestly don't know who said that. All I could focus on was the object behind them.

A pressure washer.

My ears rang and my face morphed into one of terror.

Who could do this to a child?

"We're here to help you get clean." Mom, I think, said with fake enthusiasm, as if she was taunting me.

They turned on the switch, the mechanical whirring filling the air as terror swallowed me whole.

Dad picked up the hose handle, and proceeded to hold it out to mom.

"You do the honors."

"Of course."

She pressed the button and all I could feel was
immense pain.

Everywhere.

That's how I lost my last baby tooth.

That's how my nightmares were created.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for the late update. I'll try to get back on schedule.

How are y'all liking the book? Any ideas, questions, comments?

Happy reading,

Ann.