48 | unfortunate timing

Start from the beginning

Still, Lonzo wouldn't have hired Dante if he didn't think he could do his job. He said he was the best of the best. That's what bodyguards are for, they protect. I trust Lonzo's judgement and the size of Dante, I reckon he could take on anyone he wanted.

I grab my coat and my shoes and we head out, Dante telling the guards that we're walking around the area. They nod back at him and let us walk into a wooded area that is silent, apart from the odd branch crunch and singing birds.

My lungs take down a big breath because I'm already enjoying this. Thriving on the moment of being outside the house for the first time in a week. It feels liberating and part of me despises that I can't have this more often.

But I realise it's for my safety.

I glance at Dante out of the corner of my eye. "Have you always been a bodyguard?" I ask him.

My question seems to startle him because he turns his head away from surveying the land around us and focuses on my eyes. "Not always," he grunts.

"What did you do before?"

"I used to work for Lonzo's father when he was in charge of the empire but I took a step back because my wife fell ill." He says, his jaw tensing as he looks forward again.

I swallow. "Oh, I'm sorry. Is she okay?"

"She died a few months later."

My heart misses a beat in my chest and I frown. "I'm sorry, Dante."

He sucks down a breath. "That's life, it throws shit at you and you have to deal with it."

"You must miss her," I comment as I shove my hands into my coat pocket.

"Everyday."

"Do you have children?" I ask.

Dante shakes his head. "No, we never got to that stage. Part of me is glad we didn't because I don't think I could have been a father without her."

I blink at his words, surprised that he's opening up to me. But I remember he's also been stuck in this house with me, probably also going out of his mind. He'll take up the chance to speak because mostly we sit in silence and it is painful.

"Thank you for coming on this walk with me," I say sincerely.

"I think we both needed it."

I nod at his words. "Indeed. I'm going a little crazy."

Dante turns and focuses on me with his dark eyes. "You know what you're signing up for when you get with a mafia boss."

My cheeks begin to burn because no doubt Dante can put two and two together. How me and Lonzo have acted around each other, it's obvious that we care for one another. Especially how fuming Lonzo was when he found me at the club.

"I know," I nod. "Probably not wise but I can't help how I feel."

"I've known Lonzo for years," he starts and I hug my coat closer to my body. "He's never really let himself get close to women. I think he found them as a distraction. But it's obvious you were meant to come into his life."

My eyes blink rapidly at his choice of words. "What do you mean?"

"I mean, Lonzo has needed someone to ground him for a while now. Before he was acting a little irrational, off the rails. But since you've come in the picture, he's softer. Man, I'm surprised he didn't kill me when I went with you to that club," he glances up at the sky and shakes his head.

"He knows I don't like violence," I comment.

Dante nods. "And he wants to please you. The old Lonzo would have shot me in the head for betraying him. But he's changing, he's becoming a better man that isn't fuelled by anger."