"Still. I do apologize for that, Jenny." Hailey said, "But you're doing a great job. And I think that you will do just fine moving into your hybrid schedule next week. Do you feel ready to do that? If you need any extra time being in office, that is fine."

"I feel ready for it." I said to Hailey, "I definitely do."

"Good." Hailey smiled at me, "That's all I wanted to go over. Keep up the great work!"

"Thank you so much." I said, "Have a great day."

"You too, Jenny."

When I walked out of Hailey's office, Riley was standing with Danielle.

She locked eyes with me when she saw me- and Daneille then turned and looked at me.

"Jenny, hey!" Danielle said, with a smile.

"Good morning." Riley said to me, and she gave me a smile as well.

"Good morning to you both." I said, "Did you both have a good weekend?"

"I did." Riley said, "It was a very nice weekend."

I tried not to smile, and then Danielle said, "My weekend was really good! I did a lot of retail therapy, to be honest. How was your weekend, Jenny?"

"It was good." I said, "I saw some of my family. I'm going to be an aunt again. My brother's wife is pregnant."

"Congratulations!" Danielle said, "That's so exciting!"

"That is very exciting." Riley said.

Danielle then turned to Riley, "You have to keep telling me about Friday! Sounds like you had a fun night, my friend."

I felt my stomach drop, and Riley glanced at me before she said to Danielle, "Hey, later on, D. I've got to get to my desk."

Danielle didn't seem phased, "I should check my emails too."

That morning, I was having two problems- thinking about Riley and the girl she was with Friday night - and the fact that Jackson was texting me asking to hangout.

I can't lead him on.

And I also need to get over Riley being with someone on Friday. It's not like we're dating. And we kissed Saturday.

Be reasonable, Jenny.

I wound up training with Riley in her cubicle- and I realized being that close to Riley was a bit dangerous today.

As we were waiting for Salesforce to load, she said to me in practically a whisper, "Hey. I'm sorry that Danielle mentioned Friday night."

"Why are you apologizing?" I asked softly, "It's totally fine. It was before...well, Saturday. Obviously."

Riley chuckled, "I know. I just wanted to make sure you were okay hearing that. I know I probably wouldn't have wanted to."

"Hey, I was already pretty jealous when Danielle had mentioned it on Friday."

Riley raised her eyebrows, "You were?"

"Very much so."

But I'm not going to tell you that I got off to the thought of fucking you.

Not yet, at least.

"Well...if I'm being honest. I felt the same way hearing about you and Jackson." Riley said quietly.

"I'm supposed to see him this week." I said.

"Are you still going to?" Riley asked me.

I looked at Riley, "No. I shouldn't. And I don't really want to."

She suppressed a smile, "I...think that may be a good idea."

"Is that so?" I asked her, flirtatiously.

"I promise you, it is." she said back, with a wink.

It was crazy to me that everyone was in the room with us, yet we were flirting under our breath to each other.

It's kind of hot, isn't it?

However, I started to remember the last time that I was in that kind of situation- flirting on the low with a co-worker- and it turning into more.

I couldn't let this situation with Riley turn into anything like that.

No way in fucking hell.

At lunch, I was prepared to sit with Danielle and Demarcus per usual, while Riley was out. But she asked me if I wanted to leave the office and get lunch with her.

"Are you visiting your mom?" I asked her.

"Not today, no." she said, "I need to take a break from her for a few days. I'd love to get you lunch."

I felt a blush forming on my cheeks, "I can buy my own lunch."

"I know." Riley said, "But I'm going to buy it for you."

Riley told me to meet her by her car, she said she would leave the office first, and then we could walk together to grab lunch.

I told Danielle and Demarcus that I had to run out for lunch today- and when I met Riley at her car she asked me, "Do you like Mediterranean food?"

"I love it." I said.

"Good. There's a place around here that's only a few minutes walk." she said, "Unless you want something else, of course!"

"Riley, that's fine." I said, "Let's go."

We walked to the small Mediterranean restaurant together- there were a few tables inside, and Riley asked me if I was fine sitting down there with her.

"Of course." I said.

We each got a plate with rice, pita, and hummus- Riley got chicken, I got falafel.

"I don't know if this is getting into your business too much." I said, "But is your mom okay? You said you needed a break from her."

"You're not getting in my business too much." Riley said, "My mom is a lot to handle sometimes. She can just fly off the handle. She has mental illness. I've always suspected maybe Bipolar or Borderline Personality Disorder. Even though she's sick and in the hospital right now, she still can fly off the handle. And when she does, I get the brunt of it."

"I'm sorry." I said to Riley, "That must be a lot to handle. Seeing her sick is probably tough enough as it is."

"It is." Riley said, "My mom has always been very into how she looks. Always having her hair and makeup done. Even when she was without a job- which was a lot of the time- she still managed to get her hair done, nails done, and go tanning. It's very...weird, now. Seeing her sick."

"I can imagine." I said to Riley, "I'm sure seeing her without all of that is a weird feeling."

"Oh, it is." Riley said, "My sister can barely handle it. But I kind of have to handle it- whether I feel like I can or not."

"It sucks having to be the strong one sometimes, doesn't it?"

Riley looked at me, "You get me. That's kind of been the story of my life, if I'm being honest."

"Well, I'm here for you." I said to Riley, "If you ever need to talk to someone. Or just have someone listen."

Riley gave me a meaningful smile, "That is so appreciated, Jenny."

We finished up lunch and I said, "Wow. I really don't want to go back to the office."

"I know what you mean." Riley said, "I'd like to continue this afternoon with you, and just you only."

"Maybe we will continue it sometime this week?" I asked Riley.

"I like the sound of that." she said, "Are you free on Friday night?"

"For you, of course." I said.

She smiled at me- and I felt my heart skip a beat.

While my mind was trying to tell me to be logical, and not start something up with Riley- my heart was telling me differently.

And for once- I decided to go with my heart.