18 - 'Clouded Sadness'

Start from the beginning

The humid atmosphere making you feel sticky and gross, you sniffled and gasped. Panting softly as you let the water wash away your tears. You heard a faint beeping from the alarm clock in your room, alerting you the time had turned to 6am. On a Wednesday you'd have training early but you couldn't find the strength to stand.

Time passed and your tears had turned into a blank stare, your brain a warm fuzz as you watched the water run. A sudden knock at the door made you jump, sounding close. You didn't talk, afraid you couldn't. Your throat felt raw, you tried to make a noise but only a faint rasp.

The door opened and you backed up slightly hidden behind the thin shower curtain. You heard the clearing of a throat.

"Rookie?" It was Ghost. He sounded unimpressed. You piped up, clearing your throat and holding back a tremor as you spoke "yes?" ...

"Training in 10" He said from the other side of the curtain.

"Yup" you said keeping your voice steady.

You heard a slight cough before the door closed. You reached up from the floor, turning the shower off as you struggled to stand. Your knees had grown accustomed to being bent cracking as you stood up with a wince. You shifted, grabbing your towel and looking at the condensation on the mirror.

You left the bathroom, gathering you uniform off the ground. You dried yourself and pulled your clothes on, finding it easier to keep moving when you had something to do. Keeping yourself occupied kept your thoughts away like a repellent. You tied your boots tightly, combed your hair and brushed your teeth.

You left the dorm quickly, gladly. The early morning sun shining through the windows at each end of the hall as you went down the stairs. You left the dorm building, pushing open the doors to the courtyard. The early air fresh as you walked along.

You went down to the training room, the walls made of smooth cement slabs same with the floor but slightly darker. Equipment lined the walls, variety of props and stations for a range of practice. You seen your new team bunched in a semi-circle. You jogged across the large perimeter.

You took a spot at the back, unable to see but that didn't matter. You heard Gaz talking and you wondered where Ghost was. You listened as Gaz explained the simple exercise before being dismissed to find a partner. Of course, everyone chose someone else but you, just your luck that the team was an odd number. Leaving you on your own.

"Rookie why are you here?" Gaz said.

You were confused "for the training?" You replied.

"Someone was supposed to pass on to you that you're not required here right now."

You gave him a look of confusion, needing more explanation.

"Majors need you in the briefing room" he said, folding his arms as he pointed a pair of teammates in the direction of equipment. You didn't get the alert.

"Aye Rookie!" You heard Soap call. You turned around as he waved you over. You jogged back across, ignoring the throbbing in your thigh as you stopped in front of him. He turned, starting to walk and you followed with no questions.

"Sorry 'bout that I didn't quite catch' ya in time" he said, holding open the TK building doors for you. "That's okay" you said walking in. You both walked up the stairs, hearing a quiet hum from the still active cafeteria. You walked down the halls before following Soap into one of the rooms.

You were met with a Major, Price and Ghost once more. You really hoped there wasn't going to be another mission but the set up you walked into pointed to the obvious. The Major nodded his head towards a seat at the oval wooden table. You pulled out a seat sitting down.