Reason Nine

YOUR BODY TWITCHED. Your eyes slowly fluttered open to the refreshing scent of the new morning. The gentle sunlight caressed each feature of your face, creating a warmth on each centimetre of your skin.

Your E/C eyes glared towards the already-open curtains, before tightly closing once more as you reached towards the pillow, placing it above your eyes to drown out the bright, early-autumn sun.

A small groan fell from your lower lip as you found your eyes too fatigued to open fully, staying less than a centimetre cracked open.

The pillow swarmed around you; you inhaled the clean fumes of the mattress and blankets. Your body melted in the warmth, feeling time go slower as you savoured the peaceful moments of silence you had.

You finally forced your body to move, your fingers rubbing your tired eyes with a worn-out sigh. Your pupils finally fully opened to witness your bedroom around you, still just the same as you had left it the night before.

You thought about the previous night; watching the stars with Levi before he carried you home and put you to bed.

Your fingers embedded into the soft mattress and quilt, another peaceful sigh leaving your mouth.

You glanced around the room, your eyes landing on a steaming cup of tea on your bed side table; you didn't even need to question who had made it for you.

A grin stained your expression as a soft chuckle left your lips, your fingers clasping around the handle. You lifted the cup, savouring the taste of tea on your tongue.

After taking a long, cold shower and changing into some fresh clothes, you left your bedroom.

You closed the door quietly behind yourself, before resting your back against the hard-wood, trying to decide on what to do. You had no missions, no meetings, and no plans with anyone in particular - but you felt too 'energetic' to have a rest day.

You thought about maybe asking Armin if he wanted to go for a walk or shop up the market, or maybe gathering some ingredients and testing out a recipe for a food you'd never tried.

However, in the end you settled on beginning your day with some fresh air on the rooftop.

The morning-yellow in the sky was melting into the bright-blue, dripping with different shades that highlighted the fluffy, candy-floss clouds.

Your expression eased at the sight, your feet dangling over the edge of the roof as you sat against the concrete curb, enjoying that rush of adrenaline whenever your eyes glanced down at the floor thirty meters below.

Your e/c eyes fluttered shut, a sigh escaping from your lower lip as you let the air consume your body.

You heard as the metallic door creaked behind you, the shadow of a figure beneath the sun light escaping and sharply inhaling at the sight of you.

You looked over your shoulder, your expression easing, "Hey, Hange."

"What're you doing up here on your own?" Hange asked in a chipper tone, swiftly sitting beside you with their hands placed at either side of their thighs.

"I just wanted some fresh air, that's all.."

The Commander slowly breathed out, their eye closing gently, "How are you? We haven't spoken in a few days."