Reason Six ; I

PRESENT
DAY

DAYS PASSED, and you finally began to gain strength.

You sat in the barracks library, your thumb and palm aching from writing.

You finally signed with relief as you placed the last of your work on a large pile of documents. Finally having caught up with your paperwork from when you were sick, you ordered the sheets before deciding to set off and get to bed after a long night of work.

You blew out the flame of your candle before leaving for your bedroom.

However, as soon as you stepped foot out of the library, you heard a large rumble come from your stomach. You knitted your eyebrows together with a pout, pressing your hand against your stomach: you'd skipped dinner to get your work done earlier, and was beginning to regret it as hunger took over.

You glanced at the clock on the wall of the hallway: "Time for a midnight snack."

You opened the door to the barracks kitchens: despite it usually being filled with cooks brewing up stew or broth, it was completely empty.

You sighed with relief, before wandering inside and closing the door as quietly as possible. You lit a dim-candle light to avoid being caught before beginning to search the kitchen for some sort of recipe book: your tongue craving something sweet.

You swiftly opened a cabinet without thinking twice before your heart dropped to the bottom of your stomach as a load of pans loudly came crashing out. You gritted your teeth, frozen in place as you waited for about ten seconds, sure that someone heard and would come rushing in to see what the commotion was about. Adrenaline fuelled you.

You sighed with pure relief as no one entered the kitchen.

The thick recipe book smacked against the wooden table loudly as you began to scan through its contents. You flickered through the pages as the wind drifted against your skin, your eyes squinted to read it in the dim, golden flickers of candle light.

"What the hell was that?" A husky voice suddenly called out as you felt yourself freeze.

"I-.." You hesitated for a few moments before finally turning your shoulder to be met with the sight of Levi stood at the door.

He had a panicked expression on his face, with alarmed eyes, "I heard a crash and thought you might be hurt.." Levi glanced over his shoulder before closing the kitchen door, "Are you okay?"

"You thought I might be hurt?" You scrunched your nose a little, "How did you know I was in here?"

The Captain scoffed with a faint hint of a smirk, his soft lips upturning: "Who else would be causing trouble apart from you?"

"Ha, ha.. very funny."

"I wasn't kidding," Levi carried on as he began to walk closer towards you, his hands buried in his pockets: "You seem to attract it wherever you go."

The golden candle light lightened only half of his face, deepening the shape of his cheekbone and eyebrow.

"What are you doing, anyway?" He stood close to you, his eyes glancing at the recipe as his long, slender finger traced over the writing, "A recipe book?"