Reason one ; I

HOURS LATER, you were already edging along the walls of Paradis. You'd sat in mostly silence on the carriage with Pixis, your eyes focused on the view from the window.

The stars twinkled above you, deepening each feature of you face as your eyes glowed with silver highlights. The night sky was a parallel with the night you had arrived in Paradis three and a half years ago: the clear, flawless scenery seemed exactly the same.

"We're close now," Pixis began tiredly, his head resting against the window-side, "Excited to see everyone?"

You stayed silent.

"I'll take your silence as a yes.." He sighed through his nose, "Are you worried about seeing them again?"

"Them?" You scoffed a little, shaking your head, "There's no them anymore. Hange is the only person from the Walls I've stayed in contact with."

Unsure on how else to respond, Pixis offered you a simple and sympathetic nod.

"I-.." He hesitated as you drew even closer; he sighed slowly through his nose, "I don't envy your situation.. you know that, don't you?" Pixis' tired voice softened with genuine remorse as your eyes finally locked onto his, "It must be difficult returning to a place with people you no longer recognise.. and to leave all of your friends behind with Lord Wald. Your Squad, too."

You shrugged in response, before you nestled yourself into the edge of the carriage: your head slid down the wooden insides, your eyes slowly drifting to a heavy close. You could hear the softness of his voice in the background as you fell in and out of a light sleep.

"We're here!" Pixis exclaimed as your body shot up with an almost excited smile.

You groggily rubbed your eyes, glancing outside of the window as you realised that your carriage had parked just outside of the Scouting Regiments Barracks. Your eyes lit up as you realised that you were finally home, your head perking out of the window with curiousity in your eyes.

You clutched tighter onto the window frame, slowly breathing in the familiar air as your body became stimulated with the scent of memories from when you had last stepped foot in the walls.

When you had kissed Captain Levi for the last time.

You breathed out slowly, your chest having a tightness that seized each breath. Anxiety took over your system as you struggled to catch your own breath.

Without even having the time to fully take in your surroundings outside of the Carriage, you heard a familiar voice call your name with a genuine excitement.

"Y/N!"

Your eyes lit up, suddenly feeling a burst of happiness you hadn't felt in so long as you pulled yourself out of the carriage doors. Pixis softly laughed at the familiarity in your smile that he hadn't had chance to see in the past couple of years.

"Hange!" You called out without even seeing their face, tripping over your own feet as you followed the sound of your best friends voice.

However, before you even had chance to see where Hange was, their arms swung around your shoulders, forcing you into a tight embrace. They nestled their chin into the dent of your neck, holding you so closely that you struggled to breathe.