Chapter 9

After everything was settled, Kotal send D'Vorah and the Kombat Kids to retrieve the Amulet from Mileena. Aric had to stay behind because Kotal still didn't trust them enough yet, even though he knew Aric's history. Aric decided to use the time to soften Tyra's heart and talk to her, she was a bit abrasive at first but eventually started to talk.

"So, what happened after I disappeared?" he asked.

"A lot of things." Tyra said sharpening one of her daggers. "I tried to keep our soldiers in defense but Shao Kahn's forces overwhelmed us. He slaughtered everyone, but decided to keep me alive because of my resilience."

"I should have been there." Aric said.

"Shao Kahn entered the palace, I went to the chambers and saw Shak Kahn kill Jerrod while Sindel was in a corner. She lost her mind when seeing her husband get killed like that." Tyra said with a somber sigh. "She believed you were killed as well."

"What happened after?" Aric asked.

"After Edenia merged with Outworld, Shao Kahn demanded that I join his Imperial Guard. But I refused, so he had me tortured every single day until I gave in." Tyra said with a bitter smile. "Unfortunately for him, I wasn't easy to break even though the torture continued. Then one day, he broke me. He threatened to harm Kitana if I didn't agree to his demands, he threatened to harm an infant!"

Aric looked at her with sad eyes.

"Being in Outworld was a nightmare and being around Shao Kahn and his associates was worse. But having Kitana in my life made me sane and slightly happy." Tyra continued. "As she grew, I trained her and taught her everything she knows. Even helped her craft her battle fans."

"Her fans?" Aric asked.

"Yes. We crafted her signature blue fans, the big ones." Tyra clarified. "She wanted an elegant weapon but one that was still deadly."

"Thank you for being in her life. Even though it wasn't easy." Aric thanked her. "But what happened during the tournament?"

"Shao Kahn had Sindel resurrected but she was brainwashed, she killed every champion including her own daughter." Tyra said. "After Shao Kahn was destroyed by the Elder Gods, Mileena took over as Kahn of Outworld."

"You served Mileena?" he asked in surprise.

"My oath was to protect the royal family, Aric." Tyra shot back. "Mileena may be a clone but she's Kitana's blood, which makes her Jerrod and Sindel's blood. And which makes her your blood as well."

Aric nodded at her logic.

"Yeah. You're right." Aric said. "Mileena is family, even if its hard to admit."

"Mileena ruled for a good 15 years until Kotal turned her followers against her before dethroning her." Tyra said before sheathing her blades. "And that's how Kotal took the throne."

"I used to respect Kotal in the past. But the way he rules Outworld is a bit too much." Aric said.

"That's not for you to say, Aric. He is the Kahn, not you." Tyra narrowed her eyes at him.

"If he decides to kill Mileena, I will not let him go through with it." Aric said looking her dead in the eye.

"Same here." Tyra agreed. "I'm not letting another royal family member die. I've failed enough times."

"And I've failed Edenia in the worst possible way." he said looking down.

"Yes, you did. But so did I." she said with a neutral look.

Then they heard commotion downstairs in the throne room, they heard Mileena's voice as she was being dragged. Tyra and Aric headed for the throneroom, they saw the Kombat Kids in the center with Kotal Kahn on the throne and D'vorah next to him. Mileena was on her knees with her arms tied behind her back, her face set in a look of defiance.