Smut

Cannot not discuss smut when the chapters with smut usually get the most amount of reads on this platform. In creative writing, the term 'smut' refers to explicit or graphic content that is of a sexual nature. Smut typically includes scenes, descriptions, or dialogue that are intended to arouse the reader's sexual desires.

When it comes to writing explicit content or smut in your creative works, here are some tips to consider:

1. Consent and Respect

Ensure that all intimate encounters in your writing involve characters who provide clear, enthusiastic, and informed consent. It's essential to depict respectful and consensual interactions. Also, remember that not all readers may be comfortable with explicit content. Clearly label your work as containing adult/sexual material to allow readers to make informed choices.

2. Build Tension

Good smut often starts with building sexual tension. Create anticipation and desire between your characters through flirtatious dialogue, meaningful glances, and subtle touches before diving into explicit scenes. Consider the pacing of your smut scenes. Build up to the most explicit moments gradually, and use pacing to control the intensity of the encounter.

3. Characters

Make sure your characters are well-developed and have distinct sexual preferences and desires. Also, their motivations and emotions should drive the sexual encounters, making them more engaging and believable.

4. Use Sensory Descriptions

Engage the reader's senses by describing physical sensations, scents, tastes, and sounds. This can make the scenes more immersive and sensual.

5. Variety and Creativity

Avoid repetition by varying your descriptions and word choices. Be creative in your descriptions to keep the scenes fresh and exciting. While creativity is encouraged, be cautious of overly cheesy or cringe-worthy phrases. Strive for authenticity in your character's dialogue and thoughts.

6. Humanly Possible Positions

It is critical to ensure that all the positions characters take during the smart scene are indeed humanly possible. Closely consider what positions the character should be in and in what order before writing the smut scene. While writing use suitable descriptions to ensure readers are able to visualize the positions easily and correctly. Also, note that positions add different feelings to a smut scene; some can add intimacy while others can add neediness.

7. Pet Names

During smut scenes, the names the characters address each other by can be used to express affection, and desire, or to enhance the overall reading experience. It is wise to play it safe and let the characters address each other by their names if it fits the book. It is common for couples to call each other by their names during sex; we do, according to psychological research, love the sound of our names. Everyday pet names such as baby, babe, love, and sweetheart can enhance the quality of a smut scene. However, beware of overusing them as it can irritate readers.

In certain smut scenes, it is smart to use everyday titles as sexual pet names to enhance the experience. These titles can add a sense of formality or power dynamic to the interaction. Examples include Sir, Ma'am, Master, and Mistress. These are powerful and underrated pet names you can use to ensure your smut scene stands out from the hundreds.

In role-playing scenarios, writers can let the characters address each other by different titles or identities to enhance the fantasy. Examples include Prince, Princess, King, Queen, and Captain. Note that Daddy, Mommy, Babyboy, and Babygirl are overused pet names that can take away the uniqueness of your smut scenes.

8. Edit and Revise

Like any other writing, editing and revising are crucial. Check for grammar, consistency, and readability to ensure your smut scenes enhance your overall story rather than detract from it.

9. Dirty talk

Characters can engage in sexual or erotic dialogue during sex, which can involve using explicit terms to describe each other or the act itself. Dirty talk should be consistent with your characters' personalities, desires, and comfort levels. Consider what words and phrases would feel natural for them to use. Choose words and phrases that fit the mood and tone of your scene. Be mindful of your target audience's preferences.

Avoid repetition by using a variety of words and phrases. Get creative with your descriptions to keep the dialogue fresh and exciting. Also, remember characters should react to each other's words and actions, creating a feedback loop of desire and arousal. Describe how one character's words affect the other. The most important truth to realise about dirty talk is that less is more. A smut scene with less but impactful dirty talk is better than one with too much dirty talk.

10. Research

If you're writing about specific sexual practices or experiences, research is essential to ensure accuracy and authenticity in your writing.

11. Genitals

The key is to not address genitals directly during a smut scene. Try to avoid mentioning the names of genitals by using the 'show, don't tell' rule. Here is an example of a part of a smut scene wherein the mention of the name of a genital was avoided:

Hoseok got onto the bed, facing Jimin. He placed his hands on Jimin's inner thighs and started gently stroking them with his long, slender fingers. Jimin's breath sharply drew in; his inner thighs were more sensitive after his orgasm. His heart pounded against his chest as he allowed Hoseok to spread his legs open wide and position himself in between.

Hoseok groaned as he bottomed down. He started moving his hips right away. Jimin was obviously not minding as he let out soft moans. His moans got louder the more speed Hoseok added. Along with every thrust, the bed creaked and swayed forward and backward, forward and backward. Sweat dripped from Hoseok's forehead, his hands clenched onto Jimin's thighs, adding to the amount of pleasure Jimin was experiencing.

(Extracted from a book of mine, Baby Steps)

There will be times when you will not be able to avoid addressing the genitals so here are alternative names:

Boob, tit, etc. -----> breast, chest

Penis, cock, dick, member, etc. -----> (hard) erection

Ass, ass cheeks -----> butt, butt cheeks

Vagina, pussy -----> clit, hole

Asshole, anal -----> hole

Avoid using vulgar terms as they can upset certain readers.

12. Two Types

Smut can be categorised into two general types. Type one is the smut that contains an emphasis on physical pleasure, arousal and reaching orgasms. This type should be used if the characters are having casual, non-emotional sexual encounters, such as one-night stands or purely physical relationships. While emotional connection can exist in sexual encounters, it is not always a central element.

Beware of using type one when the characters are in love as this type is all about sex and is rather described as 'masturbating on each other' than 'making love'. Lovers make love. Sex is their way of physically expressing their love to each other. This is what type two is all about. Type two implies a deeper emotional and romantic connection between the characters and goes beyond the physical aspect. It often involves open communication, trust, and a sense of vulnerability. The pace of type two is often slower and more sensual, emphasizing the emotional connection and pleasure derived from it.

The power of type two is underrated on this platform. Mixing explicit content with emotional depth allows the exploration of the characters' feelings, vulnerabilities, and the emotional connection they share, not just the physical aspects. If there is love between the characters or even just a hint of it, it's recommended that authors write type two smut scenes.

Remember not all stories require explicit content. Always prioritize storytelling and character development over sexual scenes. It is important to note that the inclusion ofsmut in a book is a matter of personal preference and may not be suitable forall readers.