Characters

Characters are the lifeblood of any compelling narrative, the beating hearts that drive the story forward and engage readers on emotional journeys. They serve as the vessels through which authors convey their themes, ideas, and messages. Their interactions, quirks, and transformations should draw readers into the narrative's world, ensuring that the story lingers in their hearts and minds long after the final page is turned. Therefore, your characters have to be detailed, but not all of them as it depends on the type of character. Here are the most common types of characters (in simple terms):

1. Main character

The main character(s) is who the story revolves around. It's a must that this character is very detailed as this character will be what readers focus on. Make sure to identify who the main character is before you start to write and that while writing you keep the story's focus on this character and not too much on the side characters. You as the author must have an emotional connection with the main character and make sure this character is as dynamic and complex as real people are. The main character is the vessel through which an author shares the message(s) or theme(s) of the story to the readers. Also, ensure your main character is not perfect; give them quirks, flaws, and fears and let them make mistakes. Readers should be able to relate to them and learn something from the main character.

2. Villain

The villain plays against the main character and creates conflict. Note that a villain does not always need to be a person or a group of people. It can also be a difficult situation or an accidental event. The two types of villains can both appear in a book. Ensure that your villain has a proper motivation behind their evil actions instead of just making them mentally insane. Don't be afraid to get creative with your villain. Try what I call a 'surprise villain' where a good side character is secretly the villain or try the 'a villain behind the villain' where the villain works for an eviler villain that is revealed later in the book.

3. Flat character

Flat characters are not an eye-catching part of the story but still play an important role in the flow and help the main character in their intention. These characters don't have strong characteristics or don't reveal much about themselves. They stay static throughout the story and fill the gap in the storyline. It is usually better to not give them a name or a complicated name. For example, the janitor found the body can just be called 'the janitor'. There are more important names for your readers to remember than the flat character who might appear only make one appearance.

4. Changing character

Opposite to a flat character, a changing character plays a role that develops and changes during the events of the story. They may change positively or negatively depending on the needs of the story. It can be anything from a supporter of the main character to a partner of the villain and may change their direction from positive to negative or negative to positive. Do remember that changing sides must have consequences for this character because, for example, a villain won't be happy when their right-hand sides with the main character.

There is a lot one can do with a changing character. One of the most captivating changing characters is one that was with the main character, then went against them but later on the main character learns the changing character did the wrong thing for a good reason and actually helped them.

An underrated type of character that could enhance the depth and diversity of books is the "Mentor" character. While mentors are present in many stories, they are often overshadowed by the main protagonists and antagonists. However, mentors can play a crucial role in not only guiding the protagonist but also in providing valuable wisdom, life lessons, and moral dilemmas that can enrich the narrative.