Writing

The environment in which a writer finds themselves while they write can have a profound impact on their work. The preferred environment differs among writers. Some find that a quiet, well-lit room, for instance, can foster concentration and clarity of thought. Others prefer a bustling café that inspires and sparks creativity while some enjoy a natural setting that provides calmness and a unique atmosphere.

No matter what type of environment you prefer there are some essential things you must have nearby while you write:

1. Writing device

Most fanfiction writer use their smartphone or laptop. When it comes to the task of writing a story, using a laptop is generally a more advantageous choice than relying on a smartphone. Laptops provide a larger screen and a physical keyboard, which significantly enhance the writing experience. Laptops typically offer more robust writing software and editing tools, allowing for greater flexibility and control over the writing process. The availability of features like track changes, formatting options, and seamless file management makes it easier to refine and polish your story. Furthermore, laptops tend to have longer battery life, ensuring that you can work on your story without the constant concern of running out of power.

2. A glass of water

Staying hydrated while writing is not merely a matter of physical health; it directly influences a writer's mental acuity, productivity, creativity, and the overall quality of their work. It is a simple yet essential practice that can significantly enhance the writing process and the outcome. Also, you can drink a cup of tea/coffee while writing but not too many or you'll be running to the bathroom every ten minutes.

3. Notebook

You have got to have your notebook open next to your writing device and a pen ready. You should have your summary of the storyline so far open and your notes of past ideas to be your guiding light while you write. Also, have a blank page ready so you can do some pre-write scribbling to gather your thoughts and test out potential sentences.

4. Scented candle

Unless you dislike them or are sensitive to their scent, I recommend lighting a scented candle when you are about to write. Not only does the scent provide a serene, tranquil atmosphere, but the little flame is also an entertaining thing to stare at when you have stopped writing for a moment to think and imagine what will happen next in the story and how. The biggest advantage of having a scented candle nearby while writing is creating a habit. By lighting a scented candle every time, you are about to start writing, your mind will associate the action with writing. So, when the candle is burning your mind turns on its creative switch and you're bound to write lots.

5. Comfortable seating

To avoid RSI (repetitive strain injury) you must sit on a comfortable chair that supports your back and your writing device must be positioned in a way that you don't have to look down, straining your neck in the process. Writers can write for hours without noticing how much time has passed since they started so it is of utter importance that you are physically comfortable and safe from injury.

On the topic of injuries, the importance of efficient, regular breaks must be discussed. These breaks are not interruptions to the writing process; rather, they are integral to maintaining productivity, creativity, and overall well-being. A balanced approach that includes planned breaks can lead to more effective writing and a more enjoyable writing experience. Reasons for efficient and regular breaks:

1. Mental Refreshment

Writing can be mentally demanding, requiring sustained focus and creativity. Regular breaks provide writers with moments of mental refreshment, helping to combat mental fatigue and prevent burnout.

2. Creativity Boost

Breaks offer writers the opportunity to step away from their work and gain new perspectives. A change of scenery, even if brief, can stimulate creativity. It allows the mind to process information in the background, often leading to fresh ideas and insights when returning to the writing.

3. Improved Concentration

Prolonged periods of concentration can lead to a reduction in a writer's focus. Regular breaks help reset a writer's attention span, making it easier to maintain focus when they return to their work. This can result in more efficient and effective writing sessions.

4. Physical Well-being

Extended periods of sitting can lead to physical discomfort and health issues. Breaks allow writers to stretch, move around, and alleviate physical strain. This contributes to overall well-being and can prevent issues like back pain or RSIs.

5. Error Prevention

Fatigue can lead to errors in writing, including typos, grammatical mistakes, and lapses in logic. Taking breaks reduces the likelihood of such errors by ensuring that writers are alert and attentive during their writing sessions.

6. Enhanced Problem Solving

Writing often involves solving complex problems or addressing challenges in the narrative. Breaks provide writers with the mental space to reflect on these issues and come up with innovative solutions or revisions.

7. Emotional Well-being

Extended writing sessions without breaks can be emotionally burdening. Breaks offer a moment to relax and reduce stress, contributing to the writer's emotional well-being and preventing writing-related anxiety or frustration.

Remember to set an alarm and take efficient, but not too long, breaks regularly. Your health and book will thank you for doing it.

Now, allow me to shed some light on what a true writing session is like. Some aspiring or new writers have this misconception about writers of exceptional books. They tend to have this image in their heads of those writers sitting at their desks, typing non-stop on their keyboards at an even pace and then an hour later they have written a perfect ten thousand words. These aspiring or new writers then feel they are doing something wrong when they don't write like the writers in this image.

For 99% of authors, writing sessions are messy and chaotic. If someone was to watch me write, they would question my mental stability. Writers' minds are different from those who don't write creative literature. While they write they don't sit still like a robot, typing away thousands of words. When a writer is completely immersed in their work they might make dramatic facial expressions, talk to themselves, act out strange hand movements, chew on their pen, spin in their chair, cry snot and tears, act out scenes or stare at the wall for an hour barely blinking.

Also, the typing sounds you would hear coming from a writer's device is not tap, tap, tap, tap, tap. You will most likely hear something more like tap, tap... taaaapppp... tap... taptaptaptap. So, don't expect your writing sessions to be smooth sailing and calm.

It's good to have goals for your writing sessions such as how many words you want to write, but I advise against setting too many or too strict goals because you can't accurately predict how each writing session will go. Some days we are more tired them other days, and remember your creativity is like a naughty toddler that sometimes hides from you when you need it most. Don't have too many expectations for your writing that will put pressure on yourself. Just let the writer in you do their thing.