☽☾ enter the summit ☽☾

Start from the beginning

"I can do this, Donny," I told firmly. The worry never left his eyes as he sighed, allowing me some distance. 

"If so..." Jane tentatively interjected, and my eyes flickered over to meet her coy stare. "We need to be on our way immediately. The shuttle leaves in ten minutes...but I am enjoying the progress I'm seeing here, go on then, don't mind we. They can wait a bit longer-,"

"Gran!" Donovan groaned, ruffling his dark locks. 

"Fine, fine!" She threw her hands up in surrender, backing toward the door. "You've got one minute, Luna, we need to be outside and en route. Say your goodbyes."

The door slammed behind her and I turned back to Donovan. The second I faced him, a scream almost left my mouth as he almost tackled me off my feet. I was back in his safe, warm embrace, my back pressed against the kitchen counter. 

"Umph-Donovan!" I whined, managing to free my arms to hug him back, unable to fight off the smile that took siege of my face. I grew to love the way he made my heart thud with his touch, his words, and actions. 

"Please be careful, Marce," He murmured, pressing his lips against the crown of my head and I shivered, internally writhing at the want he stirred in me. 

"I will, Donvan, I promise," I told him, meekly looking up at him. 

"You're going to be fine. Those women trust you, and vice versa," He explained. "Depend on each other, don't be afraid to stop for breaks. Rely on your instincts, and don't let your emotions take control of you."

He didn't stop there. 

"Do you have your sleeping bag?"

"Yep."

"Lighter?"

"Mhm."

"Extra change of clothes? Rations? Water canteen?"

"Yes, yes, and yes," I laughed heartily, reaching up to hold his face with both of my hands before I realized what I was doing. He was warm, soft, with the prickling stubble of his facial hair against the pads of my fingers. "I'm all set, now stop clucking over me."

He pulled a face, batting my hands down. 

"It's going to be a long few days without you," I admitted tentatively, eying him for a reaction. He scowled at my words. 

"As long as you get back in one piece-,"

"Is that your way of saying 'I'll miss you, too?'" I teased and he rolled his eyes. 

"I'll miss you, Marcie," He finally admitted with a raw grin on his face before he leaned in, closer and closer until he stretched the line of comfortable intimacy in one quick dive. 

His lips pressed gently against my cheek, warm, gentle but firm. My face felt like a thousand lightning bugs were zapping away in the one spot where his lips met my skin. My heart never ceased to switch its rhythmic pattern, and deep within me, the yearning haze began to start, seeping in like a sedative. 

What would it feel like to kiss him? I want to know. 

When he pulled away, his eyes were a notable shade darker, slowly receding back to their amber color. We were very much pushing the farthest boundaries of this bond to its snapping point and I was sure if I didn't leave now, clothes would start flying off in shreds and the Summit would never begin. 

"Good luck," He told me, his smooth voice lower as he squeezed me once last time before I was released from his safe, secure embrace into the cold, unruly nature of the world. With my first step out the door, I began walking down my fated path.