48

"What the fuck is that supposed to mean?" 

"We saved her," 

I fall back, leaning against the wall feeling my lungs finally fill with air after all these hours. My legs shake as I clutch onto Aeros for support. 

"Thankfully, she has not slipped into a vegetative state, but as I said before, there can be extreme brain damage and we will only be able to know when she gains consciousness." 

I turn away from them, facing the wall as tears burn into my eyes. I felt weak all over again. If only there were a way I could soak all her pain. 

"This stroke has numerous long-term effects as it directly affects the main organs. She may take a few months to recover to a few years, to never recover. We can't say." 

"We would like to keep her asleep for a few days to prevent her body from straining."

"That's okay." 

"But, you must know Mr. Knight this was a very serious case. She has survived by some miracle but she will have to live with a disability for the rest of her life, her life expectancy is also shortened due to all the damage. It's complicated bu-" 

"Yeah, let's talk somewhere else. Let's go!" Archer shushes them. 

"I want to see her," I turn to them. They exchange a glance before sighing and opening the door for me. 

William steps in front of me, opening his arms to take Aeros. 

"No, he wants to see his mummy too," I whisper, my voice thick as tears threaten to stream down again.  

Aeros' tiny fingers clutch onto my shirt, he looks up at me, cooing softly. I cradle him to my chest, feeling his presence bring peace to my racing heart. wwwwwwwww

They push the door open for me, I let out a shaky breath, my hold on Aeros tightening, his presence in my arms like a reassuring anchor. 

He sneezes softly, looking up at me innocently before rubbing his tiny nose on my shirt. Amber. 

With each tentative step into the room, my heart aches, and my eyes well up with tears that blur my vision. Her pale face, adorned with vivid bruises, shatters my heart all over again. It's a sight that strikes at the very core of my being, igniting a fierce surge of emotions within me. 

The room seems to close in, and the world fades away, leaving only her fragile form in my gaze. Those bruises, cruel and unforgiving, stand out in stark contrast against the delicate canvas of her skin. 

Aeros' tiny form begins to fuss in my arms, his big bright eyes fixated on his mom. With each passing moment, his restlessness intensifies as he tries to wriggle and reach out to her. 

His chubby little hands, like eager little grasping claws, reach out in her direction. 

"Mm. . .mumm-maa." He babbles, making grabby hands towards her.