Investigation Start

"You're insane ," Dream's mouth gaped as he inspected one of the many devices packed into the back of Error's van. "No wonder you never let Ink touch this thing. This stuff is expensive as hell."

Error, Dream had learned, was an avid ghost hunter . Why Ink had never told him, he could never guess. The amount of intense, complicated equipment was impressive, though the baker had to wonder how he was affording all of it. He carefully handed the device he'd grabbed back to Error, watching as the man clipped several smaller items to his belt with a headlamp strapped to his skull.

"That's why I brought it. I knew it was shady when I had gone over to study, but I didn't think it was this bad. You, however," Error spun around and jabbed a finger at Cross' chest. "Are one huge fucking idiot." He didn't make another comment, grabbing Ink by the shoulders and spinning him around to attach some equipment to his small body.

"Flattering." Cross grumbled flatly, reaching for a standard EMF reader that the darker skeleton kept on his dash. Dream rolled his eyes and gave him a pat on the back, equipping the few tools he'd been given.

The box he was holding looked more like something out of a movie than an actual device. In fact, he was pretty sure he'd seen it when Cross took him to that ghost movie a few years back. Tricks of cinema, the lot of it.

"So, uh.. how did you two meet?" Dream offered to start small talk.

Error glared sharply at him as Ink lit up and started talking, having to grip his shoulder a little tighter to keep him from squirming away while he was busy activating the devices attached to him.

"We met through Blue, actually! Apparently I interrupted their UnderNovela binge that they have every year and glitchboy threw a whole basket of yarn at me! Also, he wears glasses-" Ink kept chattering, though it was muffled through the bandana his boyfriend had tied around his mouth. Error muttered a few comments unheard to the rest of the group, untying the bandana once he was done setting up all the machines.

Dusting off his hands, he turned to Cross and Dream.

"Ink and Blue are already generally familiar with this technology crap. You look like a crayon eater and you sound like a grandpa from the 1800's so I don't expect you to know shit. That's why I gave you the basic of basic ghost hunting tools. Don't use that, it's broken." Error grabbed the EMF out of Cross' hand, the machine chirping as he grabbed it. He slapped it a few times, the meter going up before finally giving up and shutting off.

"You'll kind of just turn those on and wait. I expect you know how to use a flashlight?" The glitch gave them a somewhat doubting look, shrugging off their nods of agreement. Handing Blue a backpack, he led the group to the front door and knocked. This time, the door swung open without a seen presence before them.

Error and Blue stepped ahead easily, Dream having to nudge Ink inside while Cross trailed behind them, Chara hovering by his side. The hall lights had been dimmed, a few of the fixtures shattered with no trace of glass on the floor. Dream gave a sigh of relief. Horror was still doing well..

"Well this place is lively!" Ink chirped, hopping ahead once taking in the lack of immediate danger.

"Don't run too far." Error grabbed him by a loop attached to Ink's vest, causing Cross and Dream to immediately realize what it was for, the monochrome skeleton having to cover a laugh with a false cough.

"He's got a point, though. The device isn't getting any readings." Blue spoke up from one side of the hallway, peering into the unlit area and squinting, waving the handheld reader slowly. "What- GAUH, FUCK-"

The blue-clad skeleton jumped back, nearly dropping Error's machinery, a low zombie-like growl coming from the hall which slowly turned into a rough cackle.

Killer slowly emerged from the hallway, black tears dripping out of his sockets and a black-stained mug in his hand. He set it on a nearby hallway table, pocketing his shaking hands and grinning at the group.

"You guys sure came all geared up, huh? Can't say it'll work, though."

Ink reached for the tears, his hand being slapped away by the homeowner.

"Are you.. okay??" Dream gripped his flashlight, carefully stepping in front of Cross who whispered a protest. Killer shrugged, wiping the fresh tears away.

"More or less. It's not the first time, but that doesn't matter. If you guys are here for that deal or not, that thing is going to think you are." The small skeleton frowned, looking down the hall where Horror had appeared to clean up another shattered fixture.

"Its been impatient, too, so I'd be careful. There's plenty of ghosts around here that hate the thing, so you might have some help. Might. Just stick out of the darkness."

"But you were-"

"Shh. Shhhh no I wasn't. Shut up. Go." Killer stuck a hand in Ink's face before grabbing his mug and wandering off, tipping the cup to spill out a dark substance with a cyan sheen as he left.

"Weird.. hey, Dream, wait-" Cross reached and failed to grab his husband by the sleeve as he rushed off down the hall towards the large red ghost, the few devices on him clinking softly. The baker approached a little out of breath, bending over and resting on his knees. Horror slowly lifted his head, his singular eyelight bending into a worried expression as he hesitantly held out a hand to him. Dream seemed slow to respond, reaching a hand to Horror's and surprisingly being able to rest bone against cold, almost wet bone.

Hushing his voice, he leaned in.

"I'm sorry Horror, if I had known the house had been kept, or if you all were still here- I was sure you all had-"

sssssssss..

A small hiss sounded in his ear as he felt his whole body be swarmed by the cold wet feeling, the world around him tinting in red. Almost immediately he could hear the shouting of the group steadily getting louder, the baker shoving Horror away and standing up straight, turning around to look at his companions.

"Dream, are you okay? You shouldn't just approach them like that!" Error scolded him, grabbing his arm and checking him over briefly. Dream opened his mouth and paused, glancing over his shoulder to find the large ghost had vanished. He deflated, his face falling as he pushed Error away.

"I'm fine. Let's just go find that ghost."

...