3. Where's Mommy?

"My Mommy has been gone for six months now. She's working." Bora told the principal in between whines.

"Working? In what?" 

Bora played with her fingers on her lap, trying to hold back as her dad had told her it was not ok to talk about mom. The principal, next to the teacher that had found Bora fighting with two other grils in the break room, bit her tongue inside her mouth. The answer was already there, even if Bora had not answer.

"I don't know, but she left me and Dad."

"Why?" The principal watched as Bora's eyes wondered around corners, as if searching for the answer hidden in the walls.

"I don't know..." Bora couldn't help but to cry after having said that, she whipped the tears with her small hands. "She didn't even said goodbye..."

Bora wasn't the type of girl to yell when crying, instead, she was very quiet. She cried, almost as a whisper.

The headmistress, an old woman with lots of experience, felt the singular chill go down her spine. Now everything made sense: one of the smartest students getting into a fight every other day with her classmates, not delivering homework and now getting into a fist fight with an older boy.

"And your Daddy?" Miss Jung said. Her top student turned to look at her from the chair in which she was sitting.

"He's working. He takes care of me." Bora said as proud as she could, because her father was doing all of the things mother used to do.

The headmistress and the teacher looked at each other, the absolute sadness was palpable for everyone, except for the girl who still did not understand the abnormality behind her abandonment.

"I understand." The director cleared her throat, leaning deeply into the desk, as if wanting to fully perceive the doe's brown eyes filled with uncertainty. "Anyway, you know what you did isn't ok, right? And that's why we'll have to call him now."

Upon hearing that, the girl let out a deep sigh, trying to fight, but running out of arguments almost immediately. She began to move her legs shakily, inhaling resentment and wanting to cry.

"Bora-ah, answer." Her teacher called her, but Bora felt her body so weak that she only had the strength to nod her head and sniff her nose.

The principal, who always wore the same indigo suit, looked at her subordinate, indicating what was happening. The teacher understood and left the office without saying anything else. For a moment, the atmosphere was filled with a slight tension, as the director's tired eyes scanned the tiny body of her student, looking for some reference to a friendlier elective. She knew her suffering, but even so it was impossible for her not to remain helpless in the face of so much intense feeling.

Bora felt terrible. Her stomach was aching, and her face was swollen by one of the punches she had received from her classmates. Her hair, that had been a mess from the start, was like a bird's nest, even worse than what her father had done that morning, making her look horrible, matching her wrinkled uniform and bags under her eyes.

The impending lady's mouth remained dry, a clear sign that something was not right: he noticed it when he saw her, one of the most outstanding students, sitting in her office with a remorse on her tongue after mentioning her father. she. She wanted to say something, but at that moment the teacher returned with features that showed defeat.

"He's on his way," she announced.

"Thank you, Jungyeon." The director said, then returned to the girl sitting at her desk. "Bora, pick up your things, your father is coming for you."

Bora expected it, but even so the news seemed to take her by surprise as she asked for an excuse. As she left, the principal called the teacher one last time.