"But Paps, JK's not the problem this time. He hasn't even done anything to these guys! This is purely J being a power-hungry psycho. If he wasn't actively trying to make our lives a living hell, we'd be problem-free right now. I get what you're saying but it's not fair to narrow this down to Gatti. Watch when JK gets out, he'll make everything right."

He doesn't want to upset me any more. He wants to believe this'll be the end of it... I can tell by his eyes. Ultimately, Dad airs a heavy sigh and extends an arm around me. His familiar embrace has me resting my head on his shoulder with a sullen frown.

"I hope you're right, Pumpkin... Gosh, I can't believe J kept me distracted with all that MySpace nonsense."

"...Aren't you still uploading on there?"

"Well I mean, no point in putting 600 followers to waste is there?"

"Ms. Toshiko." A man in glasses appears with a badged jumpsuit and a clipboard under his arm. I immediately spring to my feet with Dad following suit.

"So just to be clear, you have absolutely no profile of who did this?"

I immediately shake my head, "N-no."

"Right... Then lawfully our team isn't wrong to assume the damage caused to this property could have in fact, been orchestrated by the legal owner.  Therefore, we'll have to conduct an investigation—"

"Wait wait hold on... You're accusing me of shooting my OWN store?"

"I know you're young, but insurance fraud is very common. We have to open an investigation for all claims until sufficient evidence is provided. If surveillance deems you truthful, then we can consider reconstruction."

"Deems me truthf—?!" I instantly turn away to look around in disbelief. My jaw sharpens with pressure from my clenching teeth while I place a hand on my hip and stressfully claw through my hair.

"Paps, I'm gonna freak out."

"It's okay. Let me talk to him... Look, my daughter's a good girl. I assure you this shop is her baby. With all the gang-related crimes happening in California, this really isn't that uncommon. Do your investigation if you need to but it's going to be over quicker than you think. There's cameras everywhere these days."

"Let's hope so. If the state considers the evidence in support of your claim, we'll get started on those repairs. Until then, we'll have to board up the premises."

"And how long would the repairs take?" I ask.

The man exhales through puffed cheeks. "Three... Maybe four months? There's a lot of damage to the interior and some shot fuses. I suggest emptying any important belongings while the officials set up some construction barriers."

My mind runs empty on words as I speechlessly watch the man walk away. Honestly, I've never wanted to throw a rock at somebody so bad. Following my groan, Dad lands a hand on my shoulder.

"It'll be okay Pumpkin. They'll realize you're innocent and get your shop back together. I'm sure of it."

My smile barely reaches my ears until just then, vibrations buzz against my hip. I quickly pluck my phone from my pocket and turn away to slide up the screen. Ugh, yes. Just the voice I needed to hear... JK doesn't even get the chance to greet me before I ask;