Chapter Seven

Slowly the car drove past expertly trimmed hedges and tall colorful plants that surrounded the expansive area that was Alfera Academy.

Lily's eyes looked towards the school then and nothing short of amazement filled her. Alfera was enormous, to say the least, it stretched over thousands of square miles. The first thought that came to mind when trying to describe it was that it looked intimidating yet warm somehow.

Large columns encompassed the sides of both the left and right areas of the school. The middle was expertly pointed in an aristocratic sort of way, complete with stained glass windows filled with magical beings in an array of colors. Beautiful was the only thought she had for it. Just beautiful.

Beautiful carvings of different shapes and curves were etched into the structure taking her breath away. The corners of Alfera that led to the sides were similar to the middle but much larger giving that intimidating aspect she felt. But it was the etchings that caught her eye.

There were many shapes but the closer she came to it the more it seemed like a language of some sort. She would have to ask Roman once she was done being overwhelmed by all of this. If she ever could Lily thought feeling panic begin to rise.

Several kids of different ages surrounded the gardens laughing. Some sitting on the large double-sided water fountain. Water spewed from four childlike angels, although they were stone they glowed iridescently giving them a life-like quality.

Lily could have sworn she saw one smile at her but it was stone before she could blink twice. Her panic subsided a bit at the sound of that laughter and ease.

Various colors of mists and shadows covered the front of the school where the students flitted about. But that was just one of the strange things that Lily noticed as they continued to make their way to the sprawling castle.

Finally, Roman came to a stop at the O-shaped driveway with the fountain of angels in its middle.

Looking at her with excitement in those warm chocolate eyes he said, "So this is Alfera Academy, you ready?" Lily hesitated for a moment so Roman said, "We can definitely sit for a minute and take a beat too. It's whatever you want Lily." He smiled and put his hand on hers, stroking it with his thumb.

Heat filled her cheeks at the closeness of him but Lily realized that it did help. Slightly.

"No, I want to go now. I've come this far I don't think I have the option to chicken out," Lily said smiling back. Some of the tension in his face lessened as he breathed out a long sigh.

"I know all of this is new and terrifying but I just wanted you to know that I'm really happy that you're here Lily." Her chest tightened with emotion and she couldn't help but look away for fear she might get closer to him.

Lily cleared her dry throat before saying, "I can't believe all this is really happening. I don't know why but I feel guilty somehow...for being excited. Is that bad?" Uncertainty riled in her gut and shame.

Roman shook his head adamantly, his dark brows scrunched. "You have nothing to feel guilty about Lily. Nothing that has happened was your fault and being excited about something new happening to you doesn't make you bad."

The sincerity in his tone rocked her with warmth. Her eyes locked onto his full lips then back up to his eyes before saying, "O-okay let's go." Roman looked as if he didn't want to move but after a few seconds, he slowly turned the car off and unhooked his seat belt.

"Let's go Reid." A slight smile curved his mouth. "We can take a small tour since I know you're pressed for time."

"That sounds great actually, thank you, Roman, for everything," Lily said before opening her door. Her anxiety suddenly crept back as she saw a couple of people look her way. Lily quickly dodged their curious glances and looked away.