Chapter 28

Sunny snapped out of it. Like that, all the torture they'd done to him—the hollowing out of his soul—was undone. Like they'd spent all that time molding and reshaping him only to spam Ctrl+Z.

"Have you learned your lesson yet?" They asked. Sunny knew that they knew he still believed the doctrine which they had instilled in him.

"You know what happens if you say yes—truthfully say yes, this can all end and you can be free to die or amends with Cory's family or whatever you wish to do. Point is, all you have to do is say yes and tell us what you think: Is the shadow a monster, Jonathan? Yes or no? And, do think hard. If you answer incorrectly, well... You know what happens if you answer incorrectly."

But... how could he answer that if he didn't even know what was certain or uncertain anymore? If black was white and white was black? Or... was it the other way around? White Being white and vice versa?

How could I answer correctly if I don't know the answer?

"Well, that's kind of the point. Like the Greek myth of Tantalus, who, when hungry, was doomed to reach for fruit from a branch that was always just out of reach and kneel for a pool of water that always drained when he knelt to quench his thirst, we wish to dangle freedom in front of you—to taunt you with what you will never achieve but give you just enough hope to think you can attain it.

He couldn't be certain, but he was pretty sure in his answer. In response, they simply laughed. God, how madly they laughed. As if being told a joke that was particularly outrageous in its hilarity.