Chapter 22

Silence greeted this in response, then came Alexia's voice once again inside his head, "No, no, Liv. That's not the specific answer I'm looking for. Perhaps I didn't ask the right question, so let me put it to you this way: why is fruit so important?"

Another silence.

"Eh, kinda... don't worry, though, Sis, you're getting warmer.

More silence.

"That's right! Fruit is food! Now, where do you think I'm going with this?" Alexia-thing said all these things, but Sunny couldn't recall her lips moving once. Olivia seemed to give a look of realization, and Sunny soon caught on to what Alexia-thing was getting at. The Alexia-thing hacked and coughed until something slimy came out of her mouth. The slime itself soon thinned to a fatty layer like hamburger grease, then disappeared completely as it turned into the shiny exterior of the fruit.

"You..." Olivia started, "...you can't be serious."

"We can and we are," replied Alexia-thing, "you're starving aren't you? Starving solved. As a bonus, the fruit itself is rich in water."

"How many of yourselves did you put in there?"

"We put a tiny amount of our larvae in there, but trust me, not only is it enough to infect everyone who eats it, but there's also no way to remove the larvae without destroying the fruit itself."

At this, Olivia grabbed the fruit and smashed it against the floor. In response, Alexia hawked up another, identical to the first one.

"We can do this all day, Big Sis. It's not like you'll be going anywhere."

Alexia-thing turned to face Sunny.

"Oh, and by the way, Jonathan, don't bother interfering or telling her not to take it. She can't hear me saying this to you, but we don't want you influencing her choice. We chose to let you run from us, since we could've brought you where we wanted at any time, as we have full control of your body. Case in point: your voice has now been muted. Go ahead, try saying something. Olivia won't hear it."

The thing pretending to be Alexia was right. He could not say anything that discouraged Olivia from eating the fruit. Actually, he could not say anything.