Sweet Surprise

A/N:

A standalone one-shot.

***

Missing him is an understatement.

She was LONGING for him. Ji-eun was sure of it.

And that was insane.

Mainly because they only got married for the convenience of it and not because of anything that closely resembles affection. No. They weren't in love. Heck, they didn't even know each other before. They just got introduced a week before getting engaged. And they spent the entire year before their marriage completely engrossed in their own careers.

Ji-eun, being the unreliable orphaned writer slash heiress to an almost bankrupt estate, and Jin-goo as the dependable only child of a known business magnate who happens to be sworn brothers with Ji-eun's dad.

It was a fairytale that didn't promise a happily ever after.

Or so Ji-eun thought.

Her calculations though can't be any further from the truth.

For only a week into their married life, Jin-goo proved to be a thoughtful albeit a quiet husband.

Ji-eun didn't trust her husband with words, but she trusted and put her faith into his actions.

The way he always asks for her preference. Him making sure they always have breakfasts together and dinner too if his busy schedule permits. Them having quality time together in the form of sitting side by side in the couch each minding their own business.

It always amazes Ji-eun how a single day has not passed without them having at least an hour of existing in the same room, being in each other's orbits despite their conflicting schedules and Ji-eun believes it speaks volumes of her husband's desire to spend time with her. And Ji-eun relishes those quiet moments.

Still, the hard truth is, no banquet goes on forever.

Ji-eun and Jin-goo's quiet married life of about a month and a few days gets abruptly disturbed when an emergency came up on one of their overseas warehouse and Jin-goo has to personally oversee the situation.

"I'll get back as soon as I can," was what he promised her the day she parted with him at the airport. She smiled at him at that and waved him goodbye.

It's been a week since then but her husband is still not yet back. And although the man makes it a point to send her reminders to eat and sleep well, Ji-eun felt unsatisfied. She wanted her husband in flesh. The mere words from his texts can never compare although they provide her a relief from the melancholy.

And for the first few days, those words worked their charms. However a week apart is an entirely different monster. A very hard one to defeat at that.

Loneliness is slowly eating her up, when Ji-eun had the sudden brilliant idea of rummaging her husband's rack of shirts and putting on one that she deem was her husband's favorite. It was a white, simple button down shirt that he wears at least once a week and had, much to Ji-eun's relief, her husband's faint scent still on it.

The shirt was big on her, no surprise at that and goes all the way down to her upper thigh completely covering the silk shorts she was wearing that night. The novelty of the situation proved to be enough of a distraction from her more morbid thoughts and for the first time that entire week, Ji-eun felt that she would have less of a problem trying to sleep. She was already closing her eyes and basking on the faint masculine scent of the shirt while laying on their bed when she heard a sudden noise of something falling. Alarmed, Ji-eun laid down frozen. When it was still quiet for the next few seconds, Ji-eun braved a glance and what she saw completely left her speechless.

When she found her voice a minute later, she immediately regretted wearing the shirt.

"You're back." she said hoping to distract her husband.

"I am."

"Have you eaten? Should I make you dinner?" She asked as if she's running from someone. She almost stumbled in her words.

Her husband didn't reply and was only looking at her or more like staring at his shirt.

"I'm sorry." She said, utterly embarrassed and burning red.

Then it happened, her husband crossed the distance between them and in three full steps was within Ji-eun's personal space.

He leaned down. His cheek touching hers and in a tone she hadn't heard before said, "Push me off." Her voice caught in her throat. Her heart beating erratically. "Please push me off and say no." She can feel her husband's voice vibrating. There was something in the way he begs her that says he is desperately trying to rein in his control. That he too, just like her is only seconds away from combusting.

Unfortunately, Ji-eun can't grant him his plea.

Instead she reached for his neck, tugged him closer to her and kissed him firmly. Their second one since their wedding day. And unlike the first one where it was witnessed by everyone in attendance hence the need for brevity, this one, in the intimate confines of their room, with both of them already feeling something for the other and with longing thrown in to add to the hazy mix, was much more passionate and more consuming. Ji-eun didn't hold herself back and kissed her husband fully. Jin-goo too with all his pent-up emotions and desires decided he has waited enough and met his wife's kisses with equal if not more fervor.

Seconds felt like years.

Feeling each other was divine.

While breathing wasn't deemed that important.

It was love in its more dynamic form.

***

09.19.2023

Tuesday