Chapter 91: Lose Control

Comenzar desde el principio

Arianna turned to look at Arya. A while after that, her gaze then moved down to the hairpin she handed her. Breathing in, she slowly took it.

"It's all already in the past. What's the point of sending these gifts?"

Arianna's slightly raspy voice rang out. One could vaguely hear the sadness in it.

"He's forever so self-righteous... Still thinking that I'm still the same as I was!"

"Mother, if you really can't forget Father, can we...?"

"Who says I can't forget him? He's so sure that I won't be able to let him, is he? He, Benjamin, is so sure that I, Arianna, wouldn't be able to live without him in this lifetime, eh?"

Before Arya could finish, Arianna's expression suddenly tensed up and she tightened her grip onto the hairpin in her hand.

"The oath of eternal love we once had has now all become a preposterous joke because of his betrayal. Does he think I'd forgive him just like that? Impossible! Arya, I'm telling you, I'll never forgive him!"

Arianna was suddenly very emotional. Her whole body trembled as her clear eyes revealed sparkles of tears that she had long endured. The scar that had fallen silent in her heart was brought back up to the surface again. It was so painful that she felt like she was suffocating.

"Back then, I gave up on everything. For him, I even severed ties with your grandfather. We were self-indulgent and unruly with our love... and then, in the end, I still had to pay a heavy price for this unruly banishment. Arya, I haven't been willing to tell you about my unbearable past because I hope that you won't know about all these ugly things... because you don't need to be burdened by these. I hope that you won't be affected by my misfortune too. I just want you to know that even though your father and I are divorced, we still care about you as we always did. That is all. Do you understand?"

When she said this, Arianna suddenly inhaled and suppressed the emotions that she was about to divulge. She paused for a moment, then continued,

"I'm afraid your father and I will never be able to go back to how we were. I know that you've been holding onto a sliver of hope for us, but I'm telling you that there's no way."

"Why not? If Layla can steal Father from you, can't you get him back? Why can Victoria justifiably hog Father's love, hog the fancy of Grandfather and Grandmother, while I'm left with nothing?"

Arya suddenly could not stop herself from self-mockery as she said,

"Do you know that every time, every single time Victoria spread rumors about me, I'd ask why? When bullied, she can go looking for Grandfather, Grandmother, and her parents. And me? Who can I go to?"

As Arya burst out about this, Arianna instantly turned pale. Her hand that held the hairpin started to tremble slightly.

"I'm sorry. Consider it a slip of the tongue..."

When Arya saw Arianna's expression darken, she felt her heart ache. With a deep breath, she pushed all of the bitterness in her throat back, then she said slowly,

"I'm not blaming you for anything. I've already gotten used to it all these years anyway... When I see someone else's harmonious family, I just feel a little envious. That's all..."

"I've always respected you, Mother, and I've always been proud of having a mother like you, but I hope that you can be braver for the things that you should fight for. You should... You and Father aren't young anymore..." Arya lamented.

Actually, for a long time, she had not dared to tell Arianna that she hoped she could help her get her father back. She wanted to give Arianna the courage as well, but at that time, she did not even have the courage herself, so how could she offer it to Arianna?