Chapter 9: Marriage Proposal

Arya could not believe they had actually uttered those words to her.

After all these years, they still thought of her as the little coward who would just obey whatever they said. As long as she was ever slightly useful, they would never let go of her!

"What do I have to do with John's Corporation? Because of the 10% of shares Grandfather said he'd give me back then? What else? Just what does John's Corporation have to do with me aside from that virtual 10 % of shares I have?" Arya's eyes were mocking them while she looked at them coldly.

"To be honest, I have no idea how both of you can still ask me of this. Aren't you always acting all high and mighty since you guys really think you've given a lot for me? Why should I become the sacrificial lamb of this marriage?"

Her cold taunting made Kristina's sharp eyes cloud over with madness!

Arya had changed so much!

She would never have said something like this before, but in just a few years, she had totally changed. Kristina looked horrified and even Layla clenched her fists while staring at Arya.

"Arya, can you agree to this for Victoria's sake? Aiden Smith is much better than Ethan." Layla's tone softened and she started begging.

"Then, why don't you let Victoria marry him? He's that great anyway, maybe even better. Moreover, you said the master of Qi Kai Group is interested in Victoria, so why should I marry him in place of her?"

Arya found Layla ludicrous.

Kristina glared at Arya. "Arya, don't you dare forget that Victoria saved your life at the deep alley behind our old residence! That dagger would've stabbed you if it weren't for her. Since then, her body has been frail and it's all because of you! How could you be so ungrateful?"

Victoria saved your life!

Ungrateful?

Arya's body frozen and her face went pale.

She forgot?

How could she forget about it?

It was that night, that moment when Victoria jumped towards her that the Fates decided Arya would lose everything!

She could never forget the scene where Ethan desperately grabbed Victoria and rushed out. She could never forget that slap from Kristina which made her cheek sting. She also could never forget the cold and stern glare from her father...

What could she say? She actually did not need Xi Victoria's help at all!

What could she say? That she could have avoided it, but Victoria freaked out and grabbed her hands, making her unable to react quickly?

Why had Ethan been there? Where did the perpetrators come from? Did they not think of these things?

Arya suddenly laughed at herself wryly. "I see... It seems that you guys resort to this same reason every time you want to force me to do something. I really had no idea that it'd be so difficult to repay someone's debt."

"I'm just telling the truth. It's because of that incident that Victoria's body is still frail now. Don't you think that you should be responsible?"

Kristina stopped playing nice. Her tone became frigid. "Your grandfather's birthday is coming up soon. I don't want to argue with you right now. Just come home on that day and we'll talk it out with everyone else."

She almost forgot that Kristina was a headstrong person. The words from her mouth were like an order, forcing anyone to obey her.

Arya chuckled instead of getting angry. Looking at Kristina and Layla indifferently, her thin lips formed a smile.