Chapter 46: New Year's Eve

After breakfast the next day, the Johnson Residence started getting lively. Robert and Uncle were taking care of the plants in the yard as Arianna and Aunt were making dumplings for the reunion dinner. While New York City was in the north, many families had the practice of eating dumplings for their reunion dinner, so Arianna made some too.

Xavier and Arya were handling the calligraphy couplets and lanterns.

They worked until 6 p.m. in the evening before the family had their reunion dinner joyously. Because the couple needed to hurry back to the Knight Residence, Robert and Arianna sent them off.

"I got Uncle to put some gifts into the trunk. Give them to your grandparents and parents. Take some time to visit us after the New Year." Robert stood by the door and was starting to miss Arya already.

In the end, the girl still had to go... Every time he thought about this, he felt like his treasure was being snatched away, and he felt empty and sour inside.

"Please be happy and well, Xavier. Send my regards to your parents and grandparents," Arianna told him.

The couple nodded. "Grandpa, Mother, please get back in. It's pretty cold outside. I'll be sure to return with Arya after the New Year."

"Okay, get in the car. It's getting late soon. They're going to be worried!"

A rare gentle smile broke across Arianna's frigid face as she patted Arya's shoulder before she guided Robert back into the house.

"Mmm, we'll go now. Grandpa and Mother, please go back inside too." Arya felt a little sullen as she sat on the front passenger seat and waved to them.

"Remember to come back frequently. Give us a call before coming over. Grandpa will prepare your favourite dish at home. Maple Residence isn't that far away from here..."

While Robert's voice sounded old, it had a very strong intent in it. Arya nodded obediently.

The car started leaving the Johnson Residence under the night sky.

The whole New York City was very lively. They could hear the sound of firecrackers and fireworks and they passed through the streets. One by one, the fireworks went off in the night sky and Arya stared at them with her clear eyes.

Suddenly, her phone started vibrating at the side and she came back to her senses. Taking a glimpse, she noticed that it was Mia calling her.

"Mia?" She picked up the call.

"Arya? Happy New Year's Eve!"

Mia's sweet voice came over from the phone.

"It's the first day of the New Year tomorrow. Come out and relax tomorrow night!"

"Tomorrow night? Umm..."

Arya looked at Xavier hesitantly while Mia just went on,

"I know you're a woman with a family right now, but aren't I too? You know what? Bring your man over as well. I've booked a room at Emperor and invited a few good friends. You know some of them too! Consider it a celebration for both our marriages and also a New Year celebration..."

Mia's voice bombarded her ears. Arya hesitated before asking Xavier,

"Mia's inviting us for a gathering at Emperor. Do you..."

"You should go out and relax more. I won't bother your friends' gathering. Daniel has invited me to his place for cards, so you decide for yourself whether you want to follow me or go with your friends," he replied quietly.

Arya frowned slightly and after some consideration, she decided.

"I'll go with Mia then."

"Mmm, I'll send you over. Give me a call when you want to go back."