Key - Tell Me What To Do

There she was again, the pretty foreign girl that would always be in the coffee shop at this time.

She'd always order a small drink and sit at a table for two like she was waiting for someone, but that someone would never come. Day after day she'd be there, and Key would always wonder why.

He had never talked to her. In fact, he didn't think she'd even noticed he was there. But today things were different. As he watched her pretend to be interested in the menu, he noticed something glistening on her face.

She was crying.

"Excuse me, can you give the woman over there an iced Americano on me please?"

Key watched as the waitress placed it on her table.

"I didn't order this," she started.

"I know, someone else did for you."

She spun around in her seat to try figure out who it was, but seemingly didn't spot anyone who stood out. Taking small sips, she looked at her phone hopelessly, tears beginning to fall again.

___

It was getting dark, and the girl still hadn't moved. Key got up to go, but thought to go over to her table.

"Hey."

She looked up at him and hastily wiped her tears. "Did you buy me the drink?"

He smiled. "Yes."

"Thank you. But why?"

"Do you mind if I sit?"

She shook her head and he sat opposite her.

"I don't want this to come off as creepy, but every time I come here you're here, sitting like you're waiting for someone. But no one ever comes."

She gave him a sad smile. "I am waiting for someone." Looking down, she fiddled with her hands, glancing at her phone again.

"Who?"

"My boyfriend, Jae."

Key nodded. "What stops him from coming?"

"It's a long story." She sighed.

"I have time."

Key listened to a tale of two people who met at university in the UK. Jae had decided to study there as that was where his mother was from. On his first day of class he'd sat next to her, and it had all gone from there.

"When he had to go home, I followed him here. It was fine for a while, but then it was kind of off-and-on. And now he's in the military stationed near here. I know he has some free time and could come meet me here, so I let him know and just wait."

That explained all the days he'd seen her waiting.

"Well, if you want, I can wait with you here when I come."

She gave him a small smile. "I'd like that."

___

Key didn't know why he cared, but he did. Everything about her betrayed how much she loved this Jae, but it was clear that he didn't have the same commitment to her. She couldn't see that, or maybe didn't want to see that.

Her evenings were no longer lonely though. Key would come sit with her, and they'd talk for hours about anything and everything. She was so animated about the things she cared about, and he found himself admiring her eyes, her lips, her smile. Her smile could light up the dark.

___

Upon his entrance, it was clear that something was wrong. She was openly crying, trying to hide it in her hands.