Chapter Sixteen

"Come," Dain snapped as I allowed Myrrh to spin my hair into yet another ridiculous configuration a few days later. I wondered what happened to glamour doing these things for me. Perhaps it was supposed to be pampering? Perhaps Dain thought I enjoyed sitting in front of a mirror for eons having someone give me the cause of a massive headache.

I'd asked Dain at dinner that very first day why I suddenly had a handmaiden now. Why, when he hadn't let a single other sidhe set foot in his home since my arrival, did I suddenly have a servant? He hadn't answered. Ninleyn had been the one to tell me that other sidhe were allowed in the house now Dhuschane knew about me. Nephinae had been the one to tell me that it was only fitting a woman of my status had some help. And Venali had given me a shit-stirring smirk, knowing full well I thought it was all bullshit.

I caught Myrrh's eyes in the mirror now, but there was no sign on the handmaiden's face that she had any idea what Dain wanted. No sign that, even if she did, she would betray her lord's – for lack of a better word, as Ninleyn would say – confidence.

"What do you want now?" I asked, not getting up despite Myrrh's hand practically plucking at my arm.

Dain looked me over. "I am not in the mood for your defiance today, mortal. Now, come."

Because nothing had changed since our morning in the forest. Nothing more than I wanted to do it again and again and again. We still hated each other, and we still aggravated each other incessantly. Like the worse we were to each other, the better the sex could be. We had yet to put it into practice, but I knew it was only a matter of time.

"Tell me why and maybe I will."

Shadows licked at his outline as his face went thunderous. "I will not ask again."

I scoffed and sat back further in my chair. "As though I actually have a choice."

Tug.

That stupid geas command.

It tugged at me. Insistent. Almost gently at first, like a threat. Then he growled, low and primal, and I was hauled off the chair, my feet taking me towards him. He stopped me in front of him, taking my chin in his hand.

"You have a choice, Yana. Yield willingly. Obey. Or be met with force. Your choice."

"A real choice doesn't end in you getting what you want either way."

He leant in towards me and I throbbed and tingled, the memory of the morning in the forest still visceral. Damn Myrrh being in the room. Dark glee lit his eyes, the humour pulling on the corner of his lips.

"She would not mind watching, I assure you," he purred.

A tiny sliver of myself that lived with one foot inside the abyss liked that thought. An audience. Shameless pleasure for pleasure's sake. And not for the first time. But it was wrong. Wasn't it?

I pushed him away. But he brought me back into his body without even blinking. He wrapped his arm around my back, and more than a flutter of desire sparked in me. There was a wary fear. I'd never really considered if he would take me by force. He'd hinted, he'd teased, but he never had. He'd talked about playing with me, but never touched me like that along with a geas command. He'd spoken of consent and making sure I wanted him.

But now. This time...

I wasn't so sure what he would do.

He dropped his lips towards mine, stopping close enough that our breaths mingled. "You will do as you are told," he said, but there was no ringing of command in my blood.

"And you're telling me to kiss you?" I sassed and I saw the smirk in his eyes, even if he was too close to see his lips.

"Kiss me, Yana."