fifty one | how's one to know

Start from the beginning

Seb and Trish were discussing the plan in a hushed tone. After all, we couldn't afford anyone outside our group to know that we were planning to fake a fire. Ryker turned and moved closer to me. "Hey, are you okay?"

"Yeah," I answered, nodding. "I'm fine."

Ryker smiled, shaking his head. "No, you're not. You can lie to everyone, but you can't lie to me." He leaned forward and whispered in my ear, "You're nervous." He straightened up and patted my shoulder. "Don't worry too much about it."

"But what if Adelina lied? What if it wouldn't be that simple?" I was still not entirely believing what she'd said, that both Eros/Ares and Young Seb only needed to be in proximity to destroy the hexes inside their bodies. "What if there's more than what she said? Maybe there's something that must be done or things to be prepared for. Something she kept to herself so that we screw this up." I let out a deep sigh. "Damn it. I should've interrogated her further. I should've asked for more details."

"It's not your fault. If you need someone to blame, blame me." His silver eyes held mine and there was a glimpse of guilt. "I was too focused on my brother's death and what Alana did. I was distracted."

My throat tightened. "It was nobody's fault. I'll do my best so this would work," I said the last part more to myself than to Ryker as I made a promise to myself. I'd caused Eros to be like this. I must be the one to fix it.

It was an hour later when one of the Erebus members informed Seb's sister — I recently found out that her name was Yelena — about Eros's departure from a nearby restaurant. It seemed that he'd just had lunch. We had one man standing by the elevator on Eros's floor. He would inform us when Eros arrived. The two men who'd been following Eros would remain outside, watching the situation and surroundings and making sure to warn us when the firefighters arrived later, just in case we wouldn't be finished by then. Two men were hiding near the security room, making sure to delete any footage from the CCTV once the security left the surveillance room while the rest of us waited inside Eros's apartment. Yelena was a woman of many skills, and one of those skills apparently included picking locks.

Another text came in about twenty minutes later from one of the two men, informing us that Eros had entered the building. The guy standing by the elevator notified us about seven minutes later.

"I'm not feeling good," said Seb. His feet wobbled and his hand reached out to hold the sofa.

"It's probably the hex," I pointed out. "Eros is close. The two hexes are close. You need to hide, Seb. If Eros suddenly feels what you're feeling, there's a chance he might decide to go visit the hospital or something."

Seb nodded and Yelena held his arm, helping him get to the further back of the apartment. When the door was finally unlocked and walked inside his apartment unit, we were hiding and waited until Eros locked the door behind him.

Ryker and I stepped outside into the bathroom. I went to greet Eros first while Ryker rushed to guard the door, making sure Eros wouldn't bolt.

"You," Eros gasped. "You're that girl. Are you stalking me?" He whipped his head to look at Ryker. "Who are you?"

"We want to help you."

"I don't need you—" Eros stopped, clutching his neck. "What is happening?"

That was when Young Seb walked out of the bedroom and approached Eros. "Er, a witch did this to us."

"What did—" Eros/Ares probably thought that there was no point in asking again, especially since his first question was clearly ignored when he suddenly lunged at Seb. He threw a punch. It was a bit wobbly since he wasn't in good shape. Then, as if he realized that the closer he got to Seb, the sicker he got, Eros started to back away. He was about to get away when Young Seb locked his arms around Eros's body, preventing him from moving away.

I stepped closer to them, both of my hands up, and I touched both of their temples. I pushed my power into their bodies. I imagined them working their way down, trying to find where the hexes were before they exploded. I managed to find Eros's hex in his stomach, entangled with his colons. I channeled enough power to wrap around the hex while I tried to find the one inside Seb's.

"Shite," I cursed, as I couldn't find it anywhere. I went further down his body. The one inside Eros was thumping, which I took as a bad sign. It could explode anytime. Then, right when I was about to give up, I located Seb's in his thigh. But I was half wrapping my power around it when the two hexes exploded. I managed to contain the damage inside Eros's body, but Seb dropped to his knees, his arms let go of Eros and his hands were now holding his right thigh as he grimaced in pain. I used my power to dematerialize the remains of the hex inside Eros quickly, before I went to help Seb.

"Seb, I'm sorry. I'm really sorry. She hid yours very cleverly. It was behind your kneecap, but I managed to drag it up or else your knee would burst and you might lose half of your leg. But—"

Seb was drenched in sweat. His sister was sitting on the floor next to him. "You gotta do something," she pleaded. "Anything."

I nodded, then summoned a ball of red smoke and placed it on Seb's thigh, desperately hoping that my superpower would branch out into healing as well.

88888888

Dear Readers, will both of them make it out alive? ;)