Chapter 7 - Mrs. Russian Mafia

Start from the beginning

"You're a stunning woman, Mia. It's hard to resist you. You will have many men chasing you after Kirill's death. His so called friends. They will all start calling you now and wanting your time. Choose who you spend your time with carefully." He finished and looked out the window as if wanting to see someone there.

A shiver of fear ran down Mia's back and her hair stood on end. Kirill was right, Artyom gave off very bad vibes and she instantly regretted agreeing to sit down with him.

"Why are you here?" Mia asked bravely.

He looked her straight in her eyes with both his hands on the table. He blinked at her and without a smile said,

"I'm worried about you. Kirill was a true friend and his death leaves you vulnerable."

Mia knew this was all a complete lie. Maybe she didn't know all of Kirill's affairs but she knew him and Artyom were just acquaintances and never friends.

She realized she had to get out of there quickly and her intuition was telling her something was wrong. Kirill was not by her side and didn't know she was with Artyom and there would be no one who would come to her aid. She remembered how Tamik had tricked her and knew these guys played very skillful games.

As she was thinking of what to respond, she lifted her coffee cup to her lips.

"Artyom, I...I'm safe. Why do you say all this?" She faked confusion but as he opened his mouth to respond she suddenly fumbled with the cup and hot coffee spilled all over her lap and stomach. She loudly gasped in pain and quickly stood up trying to swat the hot coffee off of her.

"Are you ok?! Let me help you!" Artyom looked concerned as he tried to approach her while glancing out the window again.

Mia declined and said she could be so clumsy and would go to the bathroom to clean up as she grabbed her purse. Artyom tried to help but she was already across the café, walking toward the restrooms.

Once there, she headed straight for the Employees Only door which led to an alleyway behind the café.

Mia's blood was pumping through her veins as it dawned on her that Artyom had something sinister planned and his subtle glances through the window were not innocent or accidental.

She knew she only had a few minutes and ran to one end of the alleyway and peeked out. She knew the neighbourhood and her quickest and safest route would be to jump on the subway.

Gathering her hair into a ponytail and popping the collar of her white shirt to alter her appearance as much as she could, she quickly  walked down the street looking back every now and then to make sure no one was following her.

She ran into the subway and got on a half empty train and grabbed a seat by a door but right before the train doors shut, she saw two men enter the train.

She knew right away that they were there for her. They both looked exactly like you would imagine Russian bratva to look. Buff guys dressed in black and with a look that said they gave zero fucks about anything. They looked straight at her with a small smile and slowly began walking toward her as she was beginning to panic. They sat down right in front of her staring at her and smirking.

The train slowed down at the next stop but Mia didn't dare move. At this time of day the subway was almost deserted but she needed people to create a commotion or distraction. As the train braked, the two men stood up and one of them presented his hand for her to take. She didn't look at them but looked at the floor and then one of them bent down to her ear and said,

"You come quietly, or we carry you out. What do you want, baby?" He smiled and roughly grabbed at her wrist.

Mia was both petrified and panicked. She wanted to not lose this game but saw no way out so she obeyed as they all exited the train with one of them still holding her wrist tightly.