Ch. 6

Ayana walked the streets aimlessly, trying to give herself a logical explanation as to why he brother suddenly vanished.

Another gust off air flew by her, and then another, then she felt a pair of hands on her waist and her feet lift off of the ground.

Her head whipped, finding the person who had abducted her. He wore a red spandex suit and mask. He had hazel eyes- eyes Ayana knew too well.

"Barry?" And then the world around her stopped spinning. Barry set her down, and had he not kept a hand on her, she would have fallen.

"So I may have left something out when I said I was fine," Barry admitted.

"You think!?" Ayana snapped, crossing her arms over her chest. She scanned the room she was in, her eyes landing on two unfamiliar individuals and one she knew very well.

"You're Dr. Harrison Wells," She gasped.

"I am," He acknowledged, wheelingcloser to her.

Ayana looked at the man in amazement. She had idolized him for most of her childhood. To actually meet him was unbelievable.

"You must be Mr. Allen's sister," He smiled.

"That would be me," She replied with a polite nod.

"This is Cisco Ramon and Caitlin Snow," Dr. Wells introduced, he went to continue but was interrupted by Cisco.

"Barry said you have a doctorate in Mechanical and Computer Engineering," Cisco stated bluntly.

"Um, yes," Ayana nodded, raising an eyebrow.

Caitlin jumped in, "It's nice to meet you."

Ayana grinned at her, "It's nice to meet you too."

Cisco continued his interrogation, "How did you get two doctorates so young?"

She gave him an amused look, "I have a didactic memory, I graduated at sixteen." She explained, "I did my undergrad classes here, and did my graduate classes at MIT. I got my doctorate in computer engineering at twenty-one, mechinal engineering at twenty-three."

"Can we stop interrogating my sister?" Barry interjected, rolling his eyes.

Ayana chuckled , shaking her head, "Barry's right, I'd much rather know hiw in the hell my brother became Speedy Gonzalez."

Cisco laughed at the reference, "I like her!" He exclaimed.

Ayana smirked, then turned to Dr. Wells, "I feel like you'll be the one to give me the most logical explanation."

He nodded. "Of course, I understand your skepticism," He explained, wheeling toward her.

He was getting close to her, something about him made her feel uneasy. She started to shiver.

Dr. Wells looked down at her, his expression serious. "Within Barry's genetic makeup, there exists a dormant metagene-a unique sequence that holds the potential for superhuman abilities."

Ayana gave the man a skeptical look, "Barry was born with this metagene?"

"Yes, precisely. But it requires specific circumstances to activate. That's where the accident at S.T.A.R. Labs comes into play."

Ayana nodded, "You're referring to the particle accelerator explosion?"

"Yes, the explosion released a surge of exotic energy called dark matter. And when that energy interacted with Barry's genetic structure, it triggered a rapid mutation, awakening his metagene and granting him superspeed."

Ayana stood there for a moment, silent, trying to process the information that she was being given.

Barry took a step towards her, placing a comforting hand on her shoulder.

"Who else was affected?" She asked.

"Unfortunately, we have no way of knowing who or how menu people were affected," He told her, looking at her sadly, "But what I can say is that most of the victims lost consciousness immediately following exposure to the Dark Matter Surge. When they regained conciousness, they experienced these metamorphic changes."

The room flashed red, and an alert came across the screens.

"Cold and Heat Wave escaped from the truck that was transferring them out of Iron Heights," Caitlin stated.

"Cold and Heat Wave?" Ayana asked curiously.

"It's their villain names," Cisco stated proudly, "Captain Cold and Heat Wave."

"I'm going to assume you named them," Ayana commented.

Cisco shrugged, "Well, yeah! What else were we supposed to call them?"

Caitlin pulled the criminal's my shots into one of the screens in the cortex, "Heat Wave is Mick Rory and Captain Cold is-" Ayana cut her off.

"Leonard Snart?"