Ch. 3

Ayana sighed as she stood outside the familiar prison.

Countless memories flitted through her mind, most centered around Iron Heights Penitentiary.

This prison had kept her separated from her father for so long. She thought she had let the resentment go, came to terms with it. She was wrong.

Stepping inside, Ayana's nostrils flared as she caught the aroma of cigarettes, cheap cologne, and musk. She hated prisons. Always felt claustrophobic, always uneasy being locked away from the rest of the world. Her pulse quickened, pounding in her ears as she passed the reception desk, her eyes scanning the room.

Iron Heights Prison was a men's maximum security facility, housing inmates that broke the most heinous laws imaginable. Its walls were cold and forbidding, cold steel bars lining its perimeter, its halls devoid of color. Even the floor was gray.

After passing through the heavy metal doors, Ayana paused. Her eyes scanned the corridors, noticing the gray walls and the dingy lighting. Just like in the movies. This wasn't some generic penitentiary, this was real. And she was here to visit someone very special.

"Hello, young lady," the guard called from the front desk, causing Ayana to turn.

She gave the guard a pleasant smile, returning the man's greeting with one of her own. She stepped up to the desk, handing over her driver's license.

"And who are you here to see, Miss Allen?" the guard asked, running her license through a scanner.

"My dad, Henry Allen." She answered, meeting the man's eye.

"Henry Allen, inmate code: 307310A," the guard rattled off, typing information into his computer.

Ayana nodded, her fingers clenched tightly around the ID card, ready to rip it to shreds.

"Very good," the guard responded, pulling out another piece of paper, handing it to Ayana, "Please sign here."

Ayana glanced at the form, scowling as she read it, "This form does not apply to visiting family members, you'll need to fill out another form."

She glanced up at the guard with disdain, pointing at the form, "But I already filled this out."

The guard gave a sympathetic look, "Let me check the system, Miss Allen."

He tapped his keyboard for a few seconds, checking the visitor logs, "Ah yes, you're correct. We forgot to change it. Please give me a few minutes."

He disappeared behind the desk for several moments, returning after what felt like an eternity, smiling apologetically, "Apologies, Miss Allen, there was an error with the system. It seems we made a mistake when creating the new guest pass. However, since it has been resolved, I've created a new guest pass for you."

He slid the sheet of paper across the desk, motioning for Ayana to take it.

Relieved that the visit hadn't been delayed, Ayana took the paper and slipped it into her pocket. She made her way to the front door, waiting patiently while the guard searched her for contraband. After a thorough inspection, he motioned for her to enter, leading her to the visitation center.

The air inside the visiting area was stale and cold, the heavy metal door closed behind her. Ayana shivered, glancing around the room, taking in the sight of the visitation booths.

Her eyes landed on the far booth, where the familiar man awaited her. It was the first time she'd seen her father since she left Central City six years prior. A surge of emotions hit her, overwhelming her with a wave of memories.

Ayana took a deep breath, stepping into the booth, sitting down across from her father. Henry stood, approaching the glass, placing his hand against the glass, "Oh, sweetheart, I missed you so much."