"I think it's a bit late but we can see her tomorrow if you want," Firey suggested.

"Okay," Grove replied sadly.

"Do you wanna go home or do you wanna stay here?" Firey questioned.

After taking a moment to think, Grove responded.

"Home,"

"Okay, come on" Firey said, offering out a hand.

Grove walked forward but he was so used to being picked up by his mother whenever she came to get him that his arms reached out instinctively to be held.

Unsure of what to do, Firey picked Grove up and the tired little guy latched on and cuddled close to Firey and his warmth.

For a minute, the world seemed to slip away for Firey as Grove nuzzled against him, his hands holding onto the fabric of his shirt as he got comfortable.

Holding Grove in his arms felt unreal but so right at the same time, he didn't want to let go.

After so much pain and fear, after years of longing and mental battles, he was holding his son in his arms, his child finding comfort in him.

He held Grove safely and firmly, terrified and happy at the same time as he cuddled him, his soft hair tickling his cheek.

Firey looked up when he realized he was still standing outside the apartment and he saw Pin with her hands against her mouth, hiding a smile as tears glimmered in her eyes.

"That was so cute," she squeaked.

"Sorry, I kinda lost it a bit there," Firey smiled awkwardly.

"Don't be sorry, I'm so glad I got to see that," Pin grinned.

"Yeah, you're a real dad," Coiny nodded, smiling lovingly at Pin.

Despite everything, Coiny really loved Pin, maybe more than he had loved Leafy, he was a lot of things but he wasn't a total piece of shit.

"Thanks for looking after him," Firey sighed.

"No worries," the couple said in unison.

"I'll see you soon," Firey said as he turned away.

"Bye!" Pin called before she closed the door.

Grove waved tiredly as Firey walked towards the elevator.

As the two made their way home, Grove yawned and began to doze off, the rhythm of Firey's steps and the calm breeze felt soothing to him as he held onto Firey.

Firey carried him home, the whole way, he didn't want to put him down, he liked having Grove close.

Once they were in the apartment, Firey carefully placed a very sleepy Grove down on the ground and he helped him get ready for bed.

"Is mama here?" Grove wondered.

"No, she isn't but I promise you'll see her tomorrow," Firey said as he gave a small thumbs up.

"I want my mama, I miss her," Grove mumbled, small tears formed in the corners of his eyes.

"I know how you feel but your mom is in a good place and they'll look after her for us for a little bit and then she'll be able to be with us again," Firey said as he carried Grove upstairs once he was done with his bedtime routine.

"I don't wanna sleep by myself," Grove  grumbled.

"Oh, why's that?" Firey asked.

"Too scary, I don't like the dark," Grove sighed tiredly.

Firey knew all too well what it was like to be scared of the dark, to be alone and afraid with no one to comfort you.

Like father, like son.

"Do you want me to stay beside you for a bit, until you fall asleep?" Firey offered.

"Mhm hm," Grove nodded.

After turning the lights off and making sure Grove was nice and snug, Firey lay on a small, space-themed blanket beside him.

As the tired child began to fall asleep, he clutched Firey's hand in his own small one, dragging him thumb over Firey's warm skin in a repeated motion.

Slowly the motion stopped and after a while, Groves breathing grew steady and Firey smiled softly as he carefully and quietly got up to leave.

Just as he sat upright however, he heard a little voice say.

"Please don't go,"

Grove's eyes were open slightly as he stared pleadingly at Firey who stared right back.

"Okay, I'll stay," Firey said as he laid back down.

The green haired child got off his bed and moved to the floor, laying right next to Firey, his eyes now closed again.

"You're gonna stay on the floor?" Firey whispered.

"Mhm hm," Grove murmured.

"Alright then, buddy," Firey smiled fondly.

Firey sat up and reached out to grab the pillow from Grove's bed and adjusted Grove so his head rested on it, he then pulled the blanket from the bed and pulled it over them both.

Grove snuggled into Firey's chest as he curled up and finally settled down, once again holding Firey's hand and repeating the thumb motion.

In the darkness Firey admired Grove's gentle features and watched as he breathed slowly and steadily, on the verge of sleep.

Firey was not a very emotional person, nothing ever really sparked any strong feelings in him, he was always very calm and relaxed about most things.

But noting would ever strike him as much as Grove's next words did.

"Goodnight, papa" said a small, sleepy voice.

As Grove slept soundly against him, Firey had to do his best not to make a sound as tears rolled down his face.

For the rest of the night, Firey never let his son out of his embrace.
==============================

Hope you enjoyed that chapter.

XOXO
LeafCake.