Chapter 27

Leafy was not herself.

From the moment those doors closed she emotionally shut down to everything around her except for Grove.

She couldn't do that to him, she needed to be strong, she needed to be a good mother, she couldn't make him suffer because she isn't as emotionally mature as she thought.

She was mad at Firey for leaving and even more so for making Grove cry.

But she was also mad at herself for not telling him sooner, if she just communicated better it all wouldn't have happened and they could have been a real family.

But Firey didn't communicate with her either, he kept secrets from her and he still somehow couldn't see how much he hurt her when he left, if anything he was being selfish.

After what he had done she thought she was justified in not trusting him, how can she expect him to stay when he broke her heart so long ago?

In the end it didn't matter though, did it?

Firey and Grove still bonded and now Grove was upset that someone he had grown to like was gone.

She had wanted to protect Grove and she had failed, the last thing she wanted to upset her own child.

She felt horrible, all of this was just too sad and she just wanted to rest in bed with Grove and pretend that everything was okay.

But she couldn't, she needed to keep going, for Grove.

She forced herself out of bed to go work everyday and take Grove to school, she needed a routine.

She worked harder than ever, using her time in work to distract herself from how lonely she was when she went home and Grove was asleep.

Her behavior didn't go unnoticed, her boss praised her new attitude toward her job and said he wished that more employees were like her.

All of her Co-workers admired her already but lately their admiration sky rocketed, they all agreed that she was reliable and a great person to be on good terms with, she was always so willing to help whenever she could.

Despite all of this, one person didn't like her way of doing things and was extremely worried about her.

"Leafy, I'll take this work for today, you go home and rest," Gelatin said as he took a pen out of Leafy's hand.

"No, I can keep doing it, don't worry," Leafy assured.

Gelatin knew what had happened, the day after it happened Leafy called him, extremely upset and told him everything.

To say he was pissed off at Firey would be a massive understatement.

It was just like what happened last time and he was watching Leafy become a shell of what she used to be.

Thankfully, Gelatin had some influence within the company and if Leafy wouldn't listen to him about taking a break, there was one person she had to agree with.

...

While Leafy was looking over some statistics from the company's last event, she got an email from her boss.

The email was kindly worded and as she read further, it showed that her boss was offering her a week's vacation because of how much work she had done.

Immediately, she knew it was Gelatin who was behind this, how convient it was that he also had to leave early today.

She knew she had to take the offer or else Gelatin wouldn't leave her alone, she typed out an email accepting the week off and it was arranged that her week off would start on Monday.