A-pre-ci-ate (Part One)

You can never understand how clear and beautiful the weather is until you're stuck in an awkward situation.

You can never appreciate how warm, comfortable, and soft your bed feels until you're forced to sleep on the floor.

And most of all, you never appreciate the brilliant bliss of being talkative until the person you've been able to talk to fluently all your life is an empty nutshell.

The peripheral of my vision shows me something new. I open one eye and see, clear, light blue eyes staring down at me, hunched over my figure, My eyes widen, and he smies a crooked smile. 

"Ugh," he groans and doubles over with pain.

I look at my hands. What have I done?

I instantly feel shameful.

"Peeta...." I plead.

He scrunches his eyebrows and stares at me for a long minute, creases forming in his lined forehead, before muttering into his headset to send medication down to the room. He seems angry, but the look is still there. The blazing determined look.

He drags himself slowly to the nearest chair. I pause, stuck between helping him and being nice and the awkwardness that will follow it, or staying in my warm comfortable bed, letting Peeta drag himself to the sofa, being cruel and heartless....

So naturally, I pick the latter.

He hauls himself up and plunks into the chair, looking anywhere but me. I do the same for him. 

There's not much difference since the last time I saw him. His eyes are still blue, his hair is still blonde. The only difference is the prominent red mark on his cheek, which I refuse to look at.

Peeta finally looks at me. I purse my lips. What was he expecting, me, whole, healthy, and nice?

Never,

I think he's thinking about what to do next, head tilted to the side and studying me as though I were an object put on display. I absolutely hate it.

I speak first. "Quit looking at me as though I were an animal." I snap.

He doesn't flinch and continues to stare at me with that hard blazing look.

It's my turn to be angry. I frown and hide beneath my covers, determined to stay there for eternity. I wait.

Time passes, and the medication person comes into the room and whispers to Peeta. They mutter incomprehensible words, and I catch a few words about pain and districts. 

Once they leave, I come up to the surface and ask him which district we're in.

"I don't know."

"How are you feeling?"

"Okay I guess."

"Then why are you hiding from me?"

I frown. "It's not in your position to ask why."

He raises his hands in surrender. "Alright, I'm sorry..."

"Hmph."

"What?"

"Nothing."

"Huh."

"Yep."

"I'm serious."

"Ok."

"So..... how have you been doing?"

"Same as always."

"Hmmm."

"What?"

"Hmmm."

"Hmmm."

"Stop copying me."

"Hmmm."

"Stop."

"Hmmmm."

I glare darkly at him and turn over on my bed, ready to fake sleep as long as he's here. My chest rises up and down. The sunlight in the window fades into the sunset. Then I remember that this is Peeta's favorite color. This doesn't help.

Yeah... the title's spelled wrong. It's a boring filler chapter, so... 4 votes for next chapter (fan me for instant updates on this story)

^-^ Christine