Chapter 12

Morning,
Bondita woke up to an unusually cold morning, she peeped through the window inhaling the smell of freshly steeped ginger tea. Her stomach rumbled in hungry, Bondita giggled then realisation dawned upon on her. A distraught Bondita strolled to and fro, "Abhi toh subah hue hai, aaj pure din bhuka rehna hai. Kese betega yeh din? Hey dugga maa mujhe Shakti dena" she prayed. "Yeh aurate kitna kuch kar leti haina aapne patiyon ke liye? Patiyon ko bhi karna chahiye yeh vrat patniyon ke liye." She complained with furrows on her forehead but that was least of her trouble right now.

"Koi baat nahi Bondita, tu kar sakti hai aapne Pati Babu keliye.." she motivated herself.

Bondita sat beside Sulekha as Nani ji performed the rituals. Bondita was commemorated by Parvati’s unwavering dedication to her husband. She look up for her blessings, so as a means of achieving a strong marriage.

Bondita saw koyli arranging the table for breakfast. Brown, crispy fried luchi with aloo curry the smell itself was mouth watering. "Koyli Didi, yeh luchia aur aloo kisne kaha banane?" It was Bondita's favourite and resisting was getting tougher. "Barrister Babu ne kaha tha banane." Koyli replied.

"Par pati babu subhe itna tel wala khaana nahi khate." Confused Bondita stated. "Ha par mein unko mana kese kar sakti hu" Bondita nodded timidly. Somnath and Anirudh were discussing general stuff Bondita watched them with confusion as she served. "Pati Babu nahi khayenge." But to her utter surprise he eat. "Aap yeh khayenge..?" Everyone looked at her surprise "Mera matlab aap itni subhe tel wali luchiya nahi khate isliye pucha.."

"Ha mera thodi vrat hai." Anirudh answered. "Dada aachar ke saath kha kar dekhiye aur swad aayega." Somnath teased Bondita. "Bondita jara aachar toh parosna" Anirudh asked her extra sweetly. "Boudi mujhe bhi.."

Bondita slammed the pot a little too loud and walked away in kitchen. Both laughed, "Maaja toh bohot aaya dada. Ese karna thik tha kya? Bichari Boudi." Somnath's heart melted in her helplessness. "Sabki aapni zindagi hai. Vrat rakhne ya na rakhne se kuch nahi badalta Som."

"Kopal nashta toh pura karlo." Nani ji stopped him. "Bas Nani pet bhar gaya."he got up from his seat "Arey par.." but he already left.

As the clock ticked Bondita was getting restless in hunger. "Itna mushkil nahi hai Bondita, bas khanne ke baare mein mat soch. Luchi, Puchke....nahi yeh nahi sochna hai." She repeatedly warned herself. "Abhi toh aadha din baaki hai. Abhi se yeh sab ho raha hai. Kya karu..?"

Bondita decided to clean, when Anirudh swiftly dragged her in study. "Pati Babu! Aap ese kyu mujhe..?" "Shh, do minute shaant khaadi nahi reh sakti na tum Bondita." he half whispered half scolded her. Bondita seriously doubted his intentions.

She saw a bowl full of rosegulla. "Haaye rosegulle." She eyes sparkled in happiness. But soon it died down. "Yeh sirf tera bhram (illusion) hai Bondita. Study mein kyu honge Rosegulle?" contemplating she took a step back and composed herself. She immediately noticed his presence behind her.

"Bondita, rosegulle khalo. Tumhe koi nahi dekh raha hai aur mein kyu kisiko kuch bataunga." Bondita couldn't believe her ears. For Anirudh at that moment, more than an opponent she was his Bondita. The one who gave her wings couldn't watch her getting caged. He couldn't see her constantly checking the time, it bothered him.

An hangry Bondita snapped at him, "Aapko kya lag raha hai meine yeh vrat dikhave ke liye Kiya hai? Aapko yeh sab ek mazak lag raha haina. Haan thik hai, maanti hu bohot bhukh lagi hai mujhe. Meine har pal ghaadi dekh rahi hu. " She confessed. "Maaf kar dijiye meine aapki baat nahi maani." sarcasm was audible in her voice. "Aapke liye yeh vrat mazak hoga par mera vishwas hai iss par.."

For a second Anirudh was shocked that something he didn't want to associate with Bondita, he thought he knew. "And I will break this fast in the evening with you." She announced.

Anirudh's hands turned in fist. "Bondita, mein tumhe phele hi bata chuka hu. Mera inn sab baato par yanik nahi hai. I won't be a part of this."

"I know par aap kyu nahi samjhte ..." bondita missed the warning completely and still tried to convince him. This broke the dam.

"Bas Bondita, when you know I don't believe in such things then why are you trying to make me do it?" He had enough for her convincing him to do against his beliefs before the dhaaga and now vrat. "Vrat mujhe puch kar rakha tha Bondita? Nahi na." With every question he took a step ahead dominantly. "TUM kyu nahi samajhti?" In response Bondita stepped back. "Har baat par zidd kyu karti ho?" Bondita left in such a hurry that she didn't see Anirudh reach out towards her as if to stop her, as he felt the tinge of regret for being so harsh on her.

It felt like being awaken from a dream with ice cold water being flashed on your face. Tears stung her eyes as she realised it that it wasn't his fault. It hurt when he refuse to break her fast. Well he has always been an atheist. She can't suddenly expect the change.

Shaking his head, he buried his head in files, trying to ignore the image that was lingering in his head of a certain doe-eyed girl with hurt written all over her face.

Anirudh didn't wanted to disclose it to her in his way. How can he hurt her, when all his life he did was protect. In his head, he may not love her but she meant something to him. He was disappointed by himself and wanted to rectify.

"Bihari, kaka ne dawai le Li?" He asked noticing the time. "Ji" "Sab ne khaana kha liya?" Bihari understood his unsaid words. "Nahi, bahurani ji shaam se aapne kamre mein hi hai. Mujhe bheja tha Nani ji ne bulane, unke sir mein dard hai isliye woh aaram karengi esa kaha bahurani ji ne." This pushed Anirudh's guilt to an edge. He took their plates to her room.

He quietly opened the bedroom door. And on the bed was his beauty asleep. Curtains danced in the soft wind from the half opened window.

Her tear stricken face caused a pain in his heart. He kept staring until a strand of hair distributed his view which annoyed him. An unknown desire to push it behind her ear took Anirudh nearer to the bed. He didn't wanted to agitate her sleep. She already had a long day ......

____________________________________________

I am thinking about food just like Bondita. I am so excited for the next chapter. Stay tuned like, share and comment.