Chapter 3

Draping herself in the soft cream colour saree, pearl jewelry and a golden watch her 'shikshak Babu' gifted bondita stood before the mirror smiling. She joined her hands before dugga maa, and thanked her for this day.

"Yaar Anna, kaha reh gaye pati Babu?" Frustration was clear in her voice. "University ke road pe traffic hoga shayad, aa jayenge. Tu chal ceremony shuru hone wali hai. " Anna convinced her.

Disappointment was visible on her face. She sat amidst her fellow classmates but her eyes were stuck at the door. Soon the convocation started with the welcome ceremony of the chief guest, a famous British lawyer and college alumni.

"Kaha hai aap Pati Babu? Why haven't you turned up yet, don't you know what a special day it is for me, for you ....for us. Mein aapse bohot ghussa hu, Rakshas Babu!"

"Now, I am extremely pleased to announce the next name. She was quite the stubborn one. Full of questions, never accepting anything at face value. A favourite amongst the teachers and students alike. Held on those grades, like her life depended upon it. I know the hardship she had to endure to get to where she is today. And I am very proud to give her, her medal. I request Barrister Bondita Anirudh Roy Chaudhary, gold medalist of this batch to come up on the stage and speak a few words." a loud applause echoed in the hall.

Bondita half heartedly smiled while receiving her degree. She recalled the day they clicked the photo together wearing the black robe"Mein barrister bondita Roy Chaudhary ban jaaungi pati babu." "Mera vaada hai tumse tum Barrister banke mere samne khadi rahogi." Anirudh handed her a fake degree, even if it wasn't genuine it meant more than the one she held right now because anything from him was special to her.

The hopes of Anirudh's arrival disappeared in the thin air. She clutched the skin above the heart to resist the pain from heartbreak. Wiping her sweaty palms against the robe, she held the mic tightly for her speech.

"Good morning to everyone gathered over here." She addressed the audience. "For a very special day. Celebration of my journey from that chair to this stage.  Might seem nothing but took me 8 years and 3 months to make it.

Today that I am standing in front of you is all his efforts, my husband who fought against the world for me, made my dreams and my happiness his priority. They say, God could not be everywhere, therefore he sent his angles and I feel blessed to have him in the form of my life partner. " And a tear escaped from her eyes.

"The opportunity granted to me is a right, which many women in our society is deprived off. I, Bondita Roy Chaudhary takes oath to fight for their rights and liberty with every bone in me."

And a loud clap of applaud reverbed. Bondita's head turned in the direction of sound. Their eyes met, and soon her legs started walking towards him.

Anirudh looked at her with utmost satisfaction in his eyes.Bondita forwarded her degree certificate in his hands.

Enclosing the paper Anirudh traced her name followed by his, craved in bold letters. "Barrister Bondita Anirudh Roy Chaudhary" anirudh nodded his head slightly and let the tears flow down his face freely.

Bondita's tears caressed his feet as she bowed to touched them. "Bravo Bondita" he felt the words stuck in his throat. They let their hearts take control and embraced each other in a tight hug. 

Later that afternoon, Bondita was eagerly waiting to meet Anirudh. But was surrounded by her classmates and friends, who wanted to congratulate her.

On the other hand, Anirudh impatiently waited for Bondita outside. Suddenly he noticed the boys dressed in black robes descending the stairs. Among them stood his Bondita giving them neck to neck competition. Only girl in class full of boys.

His chest filled with pride. He was glad that the reality looked more beautiful than his imaginations.

Bondita noticed how his face shined brightly with pride. Thankyou thankyou dugga Maa, for providing me strength to make him happy and proud.

Bondita walked ahead ignoring him. "Bondita?" Anirudh followed her to the  nearby bench. She turned her back to him but he forced her to look at him.
"Chahe jitna bhi maana lijiye, baat nahi karegi aapse Bondita. Bohot ghussa hu mein. Ese hi muh phula kar bheti rahungi mein aaj." Anirudh smiled at her antics.

"Thik hai tum aaj ghussa karlo, mein kal baat karta hu tumse." Bondita looked at him in disbelief. "Rakshas Babu" she whispered loud enough for him to hear. "Mein kya Rakshas hu?" She nodded in response. "Aur nahi toh kya, jaante hai kitna intezaar kiya meine aapka?" She faked angry.

"Jaanta hu, sorry Bondita maaf kardo mujhe." Bondita's heart melted at his puppy eyes. "Sochungi, phele bataiye toh aapko deer kese Hui?" Anirudh explained her how he saved a pregnant lady and her unborn child. Bondita fell a little more in his love.

"Par aab galti ki hai toh Dand bhi milega." She teased him. "Puri 8 haandiya rosogolle dilane padenge aapko." "Manzoor" he happily agreed to her conditions. They enjoyed the weather and let the reality seep in their hearts.

"Accha, chaliye aab." Bondita gestured him to follow her. "Kaha leke Jaa Rahi ho Bondita?" He asked as they wandered the streets.

"Bharosa nahi hai kya aapko Bondita par?" She innocently questioned him but his answer shocked her. "Khud se bhi jyada bharosa hai tum par Bondita" she felt her heart skip a  beat. And a smiled creeped in.

She rushed him into a photo shop. "Jese 8 saal phele khichi thi vesi hi photo khichwani hai aaj mujhe aapke saath."

She caressed his handsome features over the photo. Dil bharta hi nahi lagta hai niharti rahu aapko.

"Apna khayal rakhna. Aur mujhe chitti likhna." Anna hugged Bondita tightly and both cried in each other's arms.

Finally the day arrived when she would return back to her country, her family. And walk towards her new life.

____________________________________________

Here's a short update. Let me know in comments if you liked it. Also what more can be added. Keep supporting. Thankyou