"I did."

"Did he ask about me?" I sound so pathetic.

Hale clears his throat this time. "No. We mostly talked about what he discussed with his lawyer."

I nod again, my head bobbing up and down as tears threaten my eyes. Don't cry. Don't cry. Don't cry.

"They're hoping to get the charges dropped so that this doesn't go to court."

"What happens if it does?"

Hale puts his hands on his hips. "Well, Layla, with the evidence ... he'll be convicted. The judge will decide whether or not he has to do time. If it goes to court ... the odds are not in Grayson's favor."

Shit. I close my eyes and sigh.

"When does he get out on bail?"

"Monday."

"That's still three days away, Hale. I need to see him. Now."

"Layla ..."

"Please?"

He sighs, and looks at his watch. "We have to go right now. Visiting ends at six."

I run up and hug him. "You're the best."

I quickly bound up the stairs and change my clothes. Hale tells everyone we're going to pick up some apple pie for dessert from Gordon's Pie and Pastries. It's far so we have a good chunk of time.

I hear Hale telling my mom it'll be a good chance for us to bond.

Only we do no bonding. The drive over is quiet and I chew my nails the whole time. After twenty minutes we finally arrive at the facility. It takes another ten just to navigate through it.

"Who are you here to see?"

"Uh ... my nephew."

"Full name?"

"Michael Grayson Wallace Jr."

The old lady nods. "Fill this out, please. And who are you?"

"I'm Layla."

The lady smiles. "Okay, Layla. Are you a sister? Cousin?"

"Um ..." I hesitate. "Girlfriend." It feels wrong to say that.

The lady clicks her tongue and shakes her head. "It says here Michael Jr. is seeing family and his lawyer only, sorry, Darling."

I feel my heart sink.

"Why is that?" Hale asks.

The lady shrugs. "Seems like it's your nephew's request."

I literally deflate and I'm sure the lady noticed because she shoots me a look of sympathy.

Hale places a hand on my arm. "I'll talk to him."

I stop him, grabbing his arm before he has the chance to walk off. "No. Let's just go."

I already know what I need to. He doesn't want to see me.

He hates me. And it's all my fault.

Hale tries to cheer me up on the way back by putting on Carly Rae Jepsen's Call Me Maybe. I turn the volume dial down and face him in my seat.

"Can I ask you something?"

Hale shoots a glance my way before turning his attention back to the road. "Go on."

"Despite what my mom says, do you support this? Do you support me and Grayson? As someone who's going to be the father figure in my life, do you support me?"