"A blessing and a curse it seems."

"Which is it today?" His eyes are hazel, and they twinkle a bit when he smiles. Yet, all I can picture is that rumpled guy, staring in horror as I crouched against a wall of beef jerky. I look at his hands, and the cuticles are still all torn up.

I grin, "A blessing."

We both order and sit down, still a little gob smacked. I take a drink and clear my throat, "To be honest, I had a script for this meeting. It was very planned out, and I even rehearsed it, but now." I paused and looked down at my hands, "Now I have no idea where to begin."

"I brushed my teeth three times this morning because I was so distracted." Robin chuckles, "I get where you're coming from."

This relaxes me, "Well then, let's start over. I am Leah, I'm writing a novel, and I'd really like you to be a part of it."

He nods, "I'm Robin, I'm an actor, and I'd really like to help you with this project."

"Admittedly," I start, feeling the words I practiced this morning begin to flow naturally, "This project is unorthodox. How much has your agent told you?"

Robin takes a drink before reaching into his pocket and pulling out his phone. He begins to read a message, "Robin, you are meeting Emelia Aplin Tuesday for coffee to talk about a book deal. Be impressive. Your career depends on it. XO. Drew."

I nod, a little less confident in his answer now. "Ahh, I see. So, nothing."

Robin shakes his head, "That's actually more detailed than usual. He must like you."

My laugh comes out nervous and I take a long drink. "Well, um, let me explain what this project is."

He nodded and settled into the seat. His hands wrapped around the cup before him, and he stares at me with all his attention. I lick my lips, "I'm a fiction writer by trade, but recently I signed a contract for my next book to be a romance. I want it to be something new, something that's going to change the game in my genre. To do this, I've decided it's important to do some research..."

"I'm guessing that's where I come in?" Robin raises his eyebrow.

I nod my head, "Yes. It's unorthodox, but I'd like to hire you as an actor to help me do research for my book."

"And what would we be researching?"

I feel my nerves pressing against every inch of my skin. My chest tightens, and I take a subtle breath. "I plan to research as many romance tropes and cliches as possible. They say write what you know, and I want to know romance like the back of my hand. The only way to do that is..."

"To live it yourself?" His tone has changed. It makes me want to shrink into a ball. Great, not only does he know I have panic attacks, but now he thinks I'm a pervert.

"This is not sexual in any nature." I reassure him. "Nor would I expect actual romantic feelings to occur, or I ask you to participate in anything out of line. I am talking traditional, wholesome, PG-13 romance. The rest I can make up while writing."

"And why do you want me for this?"

He's not saying no. He's not saying no.

Hopeful, I continue, "My PR manager and editor were adamant about choosing someone who would not only be ideal for the premise of my book but could potentially act as the love interest when the book gets adapted. I have a special contract and, if I complete it on time, this novel is expected to be adapted for film."

I pause to gauge his attention. He's still watching me carefully, and I feel as if he is listening, so I continue. "Your name came up, as your reputation as an actor is noteworthy, and after speaking to your manager about your.... situation," I pause when he flinches, but then quickly recover by saying, " I feel confident you would be a great lead and the ideal research partner."