Chapter Fifteen

Stefan

Everyone's a slave, no matter how much they pretend to be free. Freedom's just a hoax, nobody's truly free. We all kneel at the mercy of something - money, power, love, hate, death... the list goes on. Yet, they fool themselves, believing they're not imprisoned by their own desires. A bunch of walking meat and bones, clinging to the illusion that some piece of fabric gives them dignity. It's amusing, really.

I often wondered what my father, Henry Augustus, was truly enslaved to. If I had to guess, I'd say it's fear. You wouldn't think he's afraid of anything, the way he carries himself - all poised and imposing. His piercing gaze makes you feel exposed, as if he knows your deepest, darkest secrets. But in my eyes, he's just another desperate soul, chasing anything that promises power to feel liberated.

Deep down, my father is a slave to fear, afraid of showing any hint of weakness. The thought of being forgotten, leaving no trace in the world, terrifies him. He's so desperate to defy mortality that he yearns to live forever, and I wouldn't be surprised if he genuinely believes it's possible. It's fascinating how someone so consumed by fear, always striving to rise above the rest, afraid of losing his grip on control. He may exude strength, but beneath that facade lies a man terrified of his own mortality, haunted by the fear of being just another forgotten soul in the annals of history.

I enjoyed watching him try so hard to ignore what controls him. He acts like he's a god or something, which is kinda funny. There he was, sitting across from me, leaning back in his chair, talking away as if I care. But what really got me was how he scratched his little beard. It made me almost chuckle, thinking how someone who thinks he's so powerful is even desperate to satisfy such a small itch. It's interesting actually.

"Stefan." he says, his voice controlled, and it pulls me out of my thoughts. I give him my full attention. "We need to discuss an important matter." I nod, indicating that I'm listening. "Go on."

"As my son, you have a responsibility for the family's future," he says, as if I hadn't known that for my whole life of twenty-six years. "It's time for you to extend the family, and as part of the agreement between me and David to keep him involved in the business after what he did, you and Jess need to get engaged. It's about preserving the Augustus wealth within the pure bloodline."

"Me and who?" I inquired with a snarky smile, knowing exactly who he was talking about. "Jess," my father replied, his tone stern, indicating that he would not tolerate any disagreement on the matter.

"That's not gonna happen," I asserted with a calmness and confidence that I hoped would be enough to deter any further push-back. My father remained just as calm as I was, though he was still determined and confident that his decision was right. "That's not for you to decide Stefan."

Taking my time to light a cigarette, I took a slow, measured drag from it, savoring the relaxing sensation it brought to me. After a moment, I exhaled the smoke slowly, watching it dance and swirl in the air before me. "Listen closely, father." I spoke, my tone full of confidence and determination and my eyes meeting his with a firm gaze. "Don't confuse my respect for you with intimidation," I continued. "And definitely don't confuse my life for your pawns."

His request is a fucking joke, Jess is like a sister to me not just that but also my cousin, the idea of marrying her is something that can never cross my mind. Yet my dear father here thinks otherwise.

"Jessica already agreed to this if that's what's concerning you."

What in the actual fuck?

I immediately got up from my seat, leaving my father's office, and grabbed my phone from my jetted pocket. Without wasting any time, I dial Jessica's number.