Chapter Thirteen

Ashley

I made my way to the dining room, feeling slightly out of place as I approached. The Augustus family was indeed a powerful one, and now, with all their members in the same room, I felt both excited and nervous. Excited to observe their dynamic and to see the infamous David Augustus who may or may not have killed his brother. Nerves struck me when I thought of Stefan, who I planned to piss off for the rest of the time that I was here. And who may or may not have been responsible for the death of his parents as well.

A room filled with potential murderers, and I was stumbling my way right into it. Great. I let out an exasperated sigh, my brain struggling to process everything in its inebriated state. My legs were still weak from the alcohol, but I was determined to walk as straight as I could across the room so I wouldn't make a fool out of myself in front of the powerful family.

As I stepped into the room, I was surprised to see that only Jessica had already made her way to the dining room. She held a glass in her hand as she watched Martin and some other staff members as they worked on preparing the table.

As I approached Jessica, she glanced my way with a smile before whispering to me, "Did Ms. Ashley sober up?" I responded by giving her a thumbs up as I whispered back, "She definitely did." Jessica laughed softly at my confirmation, a light glimmer in her eyes as we shared a secret and a sense of humor.

I turned to Jessica with an inquisitive look on my face. "Are we early?" I asked. Jessica shrugged, her eyes filled with amusement as she whispered back to me. "No, not really," she said playfully, "my family is into dramatic entrances." She rolled her eyes and leaned in closer to me, her voice still soft and gentle as she made sure only I had heard her.

I let out a soft laugh as Martin signaled to us to sit. He started by dragging Jessica's chair towards the table, her seat being in the middle of the table. He then gestured for me to sit at the edge of the table, and I did so, thanking him as he pulled and pushed my chair into place. The table was large, with more place settings than I could count. I watched as Martin set each place with the proper utensils. The food on the table was a feast for the eyes and the taste buds. The dishes were presented in a stylish and sophisticated manner, the food ranging from a variety of appetizers to delectable entrees and delicious desserts. The presentation was one of grace and class, with the meals garnished with fresh herbs and vegetables to add an extra layer of texture and flavor. The aroma of the food filled the air, the delicious scents mingling together with the atmosphere of formality and high class.

Martin stood by the table, maintaining a formal and focused demeanor as I began to chat with Jessica. As the conversation continued, a loud clank sounded out on the marble floor, drawing both of our attention to the entrance of the room. It was none other than freaking Isaac, entering the room with confidence and style. My eyes widened in surprise as I saw him enter, my mind racing with questions of what Isaac was doing here.

He flashed me a smile as he approached the table and waved off Martin's attempts to seat him in the distant seat from me. "It's fine, Martin," he said confidently, "I'm sitting right next to Miss Journalist right here." I couldn't help but smile as he approached my seat, the energy and excitement that filled my stomach and my face.

"What's the point of asking for my name if you're just going to call me 'journalist'?" I asked Isaac as he sat down next to me at the table and laughed. "If you want me to call you by your name, all you have to do is ask, journalist." He teased as he flashed me a smirk.

Jessica cleared her throat, drawing all the attention towards her. She turned to me with an apologetic smile. "Excuse my brother Ashley," she said, her voice gentle but firm, "he can be inappropriate from time to time."