The Risk

It was a silent walk back to camp, with the exception of the birds chirping, who had just gotten up. I felt like a disobedient four-year old that had done something she wasn't supposed to. "Soooo..." I finally said. Getting the feeling he wouldn't talk to me, I stayed quiet for the rest of the walk.

When we got back to camp, I decided to say "I'm sorry." James stared at me. "What were you thinking?!" He yelled. "I-I was bored, and-and I wanted to go hunting!" I yelled back. "You have no idea what's out there, Mia. You were almost killed." Then it hit me. "You-you" I stuttered. "You care about me." Deep down there, James had a heart. "You shouldn't have come." He yelled and ran off into the tent. I went to the river.

The small stream running from the ocean to the camp was my new favorite place at camp, I decided. I looked at my reflection. You are Mia Divanne, my dad had said. And yes, I should come, and I have come, so deal with it James. I thought. A wave came to my knees, the cool water swelling around me. It came up to my waist before a huge wave knocked me out.

I opened my eyes and I could see the shore, but I was a long way from it. I saw a figure standing on the shore. "James!" I yelled, realizing I was out of breath. He quickly took his shirt off and dove in. Swimming very fast, he came up to me, and threw me on his back. I was awake enough to hear the huge wave coming up to us. "James!" I said as loud as I could at the moment, and he turned around just in time for the wave to crash down on us. I grabbed James' hand and pulled him up to where we could touch bottom, and he only collapsed on me. I felt his heart beating very fast, so I knew he was alive. Carrying him up to shore, he woke up. "Are you okay?" I asked. "Yeah. Let's go." Then we went back to camp. We were leaving.

When I walked up to camp I had thought about leaving James behind, but then, I realized I needed him. He was right, I could have been killed, but I wasn't... Because of him. I started taking down the campfire. "What are you doing?" James asked. The tone in his voice shown that he had calmed down. "We're leaving." I said and he started taking down the tent. It was still pretty early in the day---8:00 maybe? When he finished with the tent he came over to me. "Thank you." I said. "For saving me." He stared at me with disbelief. Then I changed the subject: "So, are we ready to go?" And we went on our way.