The Night

That night I couldn't sleep. I twisted and turned in the tent, scared of the night. Scared of the night, not the dark. I was afraid of the forest, afraid of what was out there. I was afraid of the tent and James, even though they kept me safe. And even though I was afraid I felt comfort that James was here. I felt safe but afraid. 

     The moon was high in the sky, and I was still awake. My throat was dry so I decided to get some water from the stream. As a I walked further, the water became wavier, and the currents became stronger. Maybe that's why I couldn't sleep, I thought. I filled up my bottle and and then took a sip. The cold water felt like ice down my throat, and I splashed some in my face. Then, I walked back to camp. 

     By now I knew I couldn't get to sleep. It had been hours after I had been down to the river, and I was deathly bored. When the moon was getting lower, and I guessed it was around 4:00, I grabbed my knife and went hunting. The woods were filled with all sorts of animals, some I had never seen, and some I had only seen yesterday. I found some ducks, but those could fly, and were to hard to kill without a gun. James had brought a small one, but it was back at camp and I didn't wanna go through his stuff. 

     Then I saw it. The beady brown eyes were staring at me though the darkness. It had fur and big claws. It was standing on its hind legs, and it was much bigger than me. I knew I couldn't kill it with the weapons I had so I called for help. "James!" I yelled. In a matter of seconds James appeared, racing through the forest as fast as anything I had ever seen. He took his gun and shot it at the creature in four different places. It fell down. "What was that?" 

     "A bear." James said. "I saw one once when I was hunting." I had learned about bears at school and stuff but I had never seen one. So that's what a bear looked like. "Why are you so shocked?" He asked. "Nothing, I mean, I just have never seen one." It kind of made sense. The think brown fur and small face and big, black nose. "How did you get that gun." I asked. "My father." He replied. "You could have been killed today." Realizing what I had done, I was so grateful. "I know."