The Meeting

I had told my dad about how I was taking James. "Can I tell him about the history?" I had asked him. "Yes." He said. "You have to. As soon as you get out of here." He told me to get some rest, and I told him I was meeting James at 12:00. I went to bed, and my dad told me mom and him would wake me up at 12:00. As it went to bed I realized what I was doing. I could die and my parents would never know. But for the first time I was glad James was coming. 

     That night, day or whatever, I didn't have any particular dreams. I never really got to sleep. I was half-asleep when dad came in and woke me up. "Time to go." He said. I was more than ready for this. I knew the history, I had it approved by my parents, and I was going to the Inside. And I would not give up. 

     I headed down to the village square, where James was already waiting for me. Curfew was at 9:00, so everyone was in their houses or asleep. "We have to go. Now." James said. "My sister is following us." I knew James had an older sister, Anna. She had dirty blond hair, was skilled at hunting and was one of the few girls the leaders let hunt with the boys. We had to run. James' whole family was especially gifted at running. "Let's go." He said and zoomed ahead and I ran as fast as I could. Even then Anna caught up to me. 

     She held an iron blade up to my neck and said: "Tell me what's going on or your dead." We were in the forest now so no one would know if she killed me. "We're leaving." I said. "We don't like it here." I lied. I loved it here, but I had to get to the Inside. "Where are you going?" She questioned me. Hopefully she couldn't see James hiding in the shadows. "I don't know." I said to see if I could stall her so James had time to get away. "Look, have you seen my brother?" I didn't know what to say. James was probably running for his life, for he was faster than his sister, but she was a lot stronger, and could kill me or him with just the snap of a neck. "Yes, he went that way." I said pointing north. I had saw him run east. Then she disappeared into the darkness.