The Hard Part

I can't believe I just did that, I thought. And I knew James: He couldn't keep a secret for his life. I decided to tell my parents. When I turned 16 they told me that I was old enough to make my own decisions. While now I was.

But as soon as I walked in I blurted it out and I regretted it:

Me: "I'm going to the Inside."

Dad: "Whoa, whoa, whoa. Let's go talk about this."

He had said it in that way that says "I think you've lost your mind" sort of way. He lead me into his office, a small, unpainted area of the house where he tried to make old, deserted parts of things from the Inside work again. It was an old hobby of his, and I had a feeling he was going to talk to me about his little collection of "toys". "I completed a project the other day." He said. "Dad!" I said. I knew how much this meant to him and how determined he was to just finish one. "Now, now it's no big deal." He said. "Yes, it is!" I exclaimed. "Look." He said. "I think it's a sign." What? "A sign of WHAT?" I asked. He sighed. "Let me tell you the real history of the Outside."

Finally. I had been waiting for this moment my whole life. Someone had to know why they just kicked us out of the country. And so he told me. They sent us out because we had a dangerous weapon, a person that would bring the downfall of the government's reign of the inside. And one of the decedents of those people, our ancestors, would be that weapon. I was in shock. "How do you know all this?" I asked him. "It has been passed down through generations. One of our ancestors worked in the Inside government." How... I asked myself. "Does mom know?" He replied, "No. No one else knows, and you can't tell anyone." I knew it. Why did I look up to them when they were all cowards? Why did I want what they had? We were stronger. "So, are you saying..." I stopped to see if he would reply. "Yes." He said. "You have to go to the Inside. Just..." He stopped. "Remember that you are Mia Divanne. And nothing can stop you."

Now, I had to go to the Inside. I was destined. I was the weapon.