Prelude

"Touch my brother again," she declared, striding forward confidently, "I dare you."

Amused, the boy chuckled, his gaze shifting between the determined teenager and her younger sibling. "And what are you going to do about it?"

Her smirk widened at his provocation as she closed the distance between them. The air crackled with tension, her eyes blazing with a fiery determination.

"I suggest you think twice before underestimating me," she retorted, her voice laced with an unwavering resolve. "I can assure you, the consequences of touching my brother will be far from pleasant."

The boy's laughter faltered, replaced by a flicker of uncertainty. However, he quickly regained his composure, attempting to mask his unease with a defiant grin. "You think you can intimidate me?"

Undeterred, she locked eyes with him, unflinching. The atmosphere grew heavy with anticipation as the standoff continued.

"I don't have to think, I know."

The boy, realizing the depth of her conviction, stepped back, a glimmer of doubt creeping into his expression.

Hiding his concern behind the bravado, he laughed nervously. "Oh yeah? Prove it!"

With a bold smile, the girl advanced on him once more. It was all the warning he got before she seized hold of his arm, shoving him hard against the brick wall. The sharp edge of stone scraped his cheekbone, sending a rush of blood bursting through his head. His head snapped back in surprise, a cry of pain escaping his lips as the blow reverberated through his body.

Cursing, he clutched his wounded cheek. In retaliation, he pushed himself off the wall, launching himself at the girl with astonishing speed. In a split second, the teen had twisted out of the way, avoiding the punch, grabbing the boy by the wrist, and pinning him against the wall again.

The boy fought back, trying to overpower the older girl, but she was not easily intimidated. She held firm, keeping him pinned.

A shudder rippled through the young man as she tightened her grip on his wrist. Squeezing his hand, she forced the bones to crack, eliciting a pained yelp from him.

"I think he learned his lesson, Aya," Her brother's voice called from across the alleyway.

Looking over her shoulder, her blue eyes met her little brother's hazel.

"I need to get you home anyway," She conceded, releasing her hold on the other boy.

The boy cursed under his breath, glaring at her, arms aching from the tightness of the hold.

"This isn't over, Allen," He warned as the siblings left the alleyway.

The younger boy gripped his sister's hand tightly as they walked down the street, leading their way towards home.

"You can't fight my battle forever, you know?" The boy said, glancing up at his sister, his tone defeated.

She stopped, turning to face him. She sighed, shaking her head. "I'm your big sister, and I'll always protect you. Always."

She watched as he nodded silently, an understanding smile crossing his face. They continued walking until eventually they reached their house. The boy waited for his sister outside the entrance as she let herself in.

She pulled open the front door finding her mother sitting at the table. Her father sat beside her, a look of intense focus on his face. Her mother looked up, her features unreadable. Her expression turned concerned when she saw the bruises that covered the boy's face. She frowned, getting to her feet as the girl approached.