Chapter 50 - The Look

COURTNEY's POV

"Hi. It's nice to meet you." Olivia grinned at me.

I didn't want to, but for the sake of being polite, I shook her hand and smiled back.

But all the blood drained off my face when Mrs. Treyson added, "Olivia is staying with us until the competition."

And at that moment, I felt my luck had run out and the universe close on me, totally forgotten that I existed.

If this was a joke, it wasn't funny at all. I tried to keep my smile up, to maintain a facade that that information didn't have an effect on me, but deep down I was a mess.

Olivia, on the other hand, didn't seem to be bothered at all. She just kept that sweet smile on her face while I was struggling to hold it together. She was able to stay composed.

Her face showed no signs of distress, her eyes were still bright and her lips were still curved upwards in a gentle smile.

I've only seen Olivia on instagram, she was pretty--fine I give her that. And as much as I hate to admit, she was even prettier in person; long auburn wavy hair, a subtle eye-liner that emphasized her brown eyes, and her lips were full, painted with light pink lipstick.

And not everyone can pull that shade off, but she somehow managed to.

If she studied at our school, I would have recruited her to join our group of friends. She was perfect! But, I was so glad she didn't. Otherwise, she wouldn't be that horrible of a person that broke Chad's heart.

Damn it, why do I sound so selfish?

Because right now, the only thing that kept me sane was the fact that Olivia wouldn't stand a chance with Chad again because of the awful things she did to him. But I couldn't help but worry that he would eventually forgive her and take her back. The thought of him doing that broke my heart.

I just wanted to protect him from her, and keep him safe from her manipulations.

But who was I to talk? I wasn't exactly a saint myself. I hurt Chad. I lied and manipulated him!

And the fact that they would live under one roof was such a torture for me!

I wouldn't feel so insecure and bitter if I didn't have any misunderstandings with Chad, but damn it the timing was such a bitch.

Calm down!

It's only a week until the competition. So instead of sulking and worrying, I need to keep my head up and focus on the task at hand. For me to succeed, I cannot allow my emotions to interfere.

I must stay focused.

"It's nice to meet you, I'm Courtney." It was a quick handshake, but nothing that suggests that there was animosity between us. Well, maybe she didn't know who I was in Chad's life?

"Chad is Courtney's tutor," Mrs. Treyson announced.

Tutor.

I wasn't sure how I would feel at that moment. I guess Chad hadn't told her about us, the part when we were a couple.

Couples, huh?

Did we really?
I'd like to believe we were! I thought of him as my boyfriend and I just hope he thinks of me as his girlfriend, too. Though it only seemed like a quick relationship, I was determined to fix it and let it continue.

"Oh, is that so?" I swear Olivia's smile just got wider. I bet, like me, she was trying to hold it together. As a response, I tried my best to smile.

Kill her with silence.